Register To Comment
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Northern England & Scotland event startup

Redirect Left
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocracoke View Post
    My apologies, I've just re-read my reply and it might have come across a bit harsh, sorry.
    It's absolutely fine, it was a bit of a radical idea to begin with. Just basically spitballing with myself there, trying to figure out the best way of doing it, and also the quickest financially. There's certainly Roboteers in the north and Scotland, so i'm just trying to get them some action, without driving half way across the island of Great Britain

For Anyone not familiar with the size of ant weight Robots, which includes
    me! here's a Robot Wars example

I like the idea of car park fights too bare knuckle fights as retroman said
    or cage Robot fights (easy to fit some bars to a arena)
    You could even take your ant arena on the back of a pick up and
    go to countless venues like
    Boot fairs
    Agriculture shows
    Markets
    Beach events -next to punch and judy
    any place theres going to be crowds
    Maybe you could fit it in a suitcase Del Boy style which pops up
    and then down again when your rents due and just run off
    Last edited by team death; 25th April 2018 at 17:53.

Redirect Left
    The typical rules for an antweight are, it must fit within a 4 inch cube, and weigh 150 grams or less. They can come across as a lot bigger on camera with some trickery, but they are actually tiiiny. I'm not sure if Robot Wars stuck to the 4 inch cube max size, or just the weight limits.

An arena for antweights is certainly something you can shove in the back of even a decent sized car or MPV and take to anywhere there is interest. if its made portable / modular / flatpack, you might be able to shove it in a backpack and take it on a train. Entertain randomers at Manchester Piccadilly waiting for their delayed trains. (probably not that)

This sounds like an amazing idea, going to be following all this very closely.

I l8ke the idea of slapping it on a pickup and just rolling up somewhere, but we'd need plenty of co-operation from the legendary northern weather...

I'll let you know how plans for a backpack style arena go, that's my plan so I can transport it on the bike while I've no car still, be an interesting challenge making it decently sized but still portable.

Redirect Left
    Quote Originally Posted by Retroman View Post
    I l8ke the idea of slapping it on a pickup and just rolling up somewhere, but we'd need plenty of co-operation from the legendary northern weather...
    I've thought of the weather issues, I've lookeed up prices of renting a few places, it isn't that bad really. Just organise it with a school, and roll up really - seems to be easiest places to book, with their gyms and halls.

School halls (or gyms) are usually about £20 to £35 an hour. Available from about 5pm onwards on weekdays, and all day on weekends when school isn't open anyway.
    Sports centres are more expensive, but you have more room in their halls, and they need to recoup the money they'd be maing from renting those halls out to badminton, tennis etc. Schools don't need to do that, as they'd be empty anyway.

Some schools claim to be 'school of science' or 'school of technology' - i'm not sure if this is meant to be literal, or just something that is meant to appeal to parents. If literal, might be easier to book with them.

In short, everything here is possible, if a little fiddly and time consuming. It's just if there is enough interest to make it worth doing. As Colin (team death) noted, once its done, it's a case of rolling up and taking it anywhere there is interest and fun to be had.

I would be against a audience member driving a house bot, controlling arena hazards are fine but not a house bot

Maybe see if someone would be happy to let someone drive their own bot would be better than a house bot, less chance of total carnage, could even have a couple of pushers (or something non spinner) for an audience face off? Plus a raffle would be a decent fundraiser. Everyone loves a raffle.

As for renting spaces, I know of somewhere locally (scout hq) that was £15 an hour and had kitchen, toilets etc and 2 rooms but limited availability... so it's definitely something to look at as I imagine there are some pretty sweet venues about and some deals to be made. And the "school of technology" theory might just be on to something. I'll make a few tentative enquiries with places I know and scope out a general feel.

Hazards are a cool idea too, trying to work out the neatest way to make a dropping pit with release button...
    Last edited by Retroman; 25th April 2018 at 22:14. Reason: Hate typing on a phone....

Team Kaizen

I know the Bristol Bot Builders guys used a Beetleweight in a "Beat the Boss" event (I think that is what it is called) in which all the AWs faced off against the BW.

(42:50 on the video)

Perhaps a smaller BW could serve as a house robot but to be honest, AWs are perfectly capable of making enough danger/entertainment all on their own.

Hazards are a cool idea too, trying to work out the neatest way to make a dropping pit with release button...
    If it was functional as a button, I can see it breaking really easily, especially against a AW spinner. Personally, I can't see why someone can't just watch the match and then when a robot hits the "button", that person pulls on a string which releases a catch and a pit swings down open like a trapdoor.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

[QUOTE=Ocracoke;472290
    If it was functional as a button, I can see it breaking really easily, especially against a AW spinner. Personally, I can't see why someone can't just watch the match and then when a robot hits the "button", that person pulls on a string which releases a catch and a pit swings down open like a trapdoor.[/QUOTE]

Thats why I'm having think so much about it, I like the idea of automatic operation, havebwwn thinking along the lines of a bumper bar, likely a section of wood like the walls, that can move to contact a microswitch or similar... but I like to over complicate things...

Wouldn't beating a beetle be insanely difficult? I know that's the point? But holy smokes...

Register To Comment