Register To Comment
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Northern England & Scotland event startup

I'm not sure about Ikea tables-to be honest most Ikea furniture I have
    come across fell to bits after a week or so.
    You might be better with a older solid plywood table (possibly folding) with a
    formica or melamine top.
    I still have one in the kitchen, its about 50 years old-still solid and the surface
    is as tough as old boots-you can still find good examples at auction rooms or
    e bay.
    Also what about this for an idea-a ready made arena for ant weights
    all you would need to do is add a inner boundry and maybe line the glass with
    2mm polycarbonate to protect from scratching the glass.
    I would give you odds of 1000 to 1 that no ant weight would break 10mm glass
    lined with polycarbonate
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fish-tank...gAAOSwcwVa20fq
    Some large fish tanks hold upto 1 ton of water and have toughened
    glass.
    Last edited by team death; 25th April 2018 at 11:52.

I think only toughened glass would be acceptable due to safety concerns. But perhaps using a fishtank or lizard/snake tank frame would be nice option and then retrofitting polycarbonate in place of the glass. Personally I think any arena must be large enough for the robots to accelerate and allow room for a chase. For ants a square 1.5m X 1.5m would be a minimum I think. Any less and it would be like two sumo wrestlers in Willy Wonka's glass lift.

On a larger scale I what just came to mind when I was writing the above, the competition squash courts they use of televised matches. Polycarbonate three sides I am sure. They would fit featherweights. Surely they would be way to expensive and out of scope. But if I see see one on eBay...... lol

Team Kaizen

For ants a square 1.5m X 1.5m would be a minimum I think.
    Antweight World Series rules say the minimum need only be 762mm squared and my ant arena is 810mm squared. Plenty of room to have a play on that
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Bare-knuckle fighting robots lmao that would make an epic parody.

Redirect Left
    Quote Originally Posted by team death View Post
    I'm not sure about Ikea tables-to be honest most Ikea furniture I have
    come across fell to bits after a week or so.
    I have two desks lined together in my flat to form a wall of table for varying computers, printers (which rarely work), several monitors (more than one computer, and all have more than one monitor attached) and they've lasted about 10 years so far with no major issues, bit of veneer coming off. I have however tested something, I've drilled a hole in the bottom of one of the tables to verify they're solid, as some new IKEA stuff has been found to have thin layers of wood at the top and bottom, but the insides are actually packed with cardboard rolls. It's possible these tables were made before that practice came into action though, and if i was to get the same now, they'd be the cardboard packing type. I'm certainly thinking using a suitably sized table as the floor, and then building a polycarbonate shield around the legs of the table(s). So there is still a moat / drop before the polycarb for pushing and flipping out - but they'll be caught under the table surface so won't fly off under the table and nibble little Timmy's ankles. Using a table also provides the off the floor level required for convenient watching and placing in and out of the arena.

I'm definitely wanting to try doing some fun stuff, of course have the head to head battles, but do lots of fun 'because we can' little games on the side.

Money is again and unsurprisingly the main issue i am facing.

A bit of a radical solution I am thinking of, is perhaps it is worth setting up a collective of Roboteers, and together work towards buying a shared arena, for use by anyone part of the group as they need, and we all go about with this one (plus probably another few for the mini games). Doing this, the costs are split, and no one person owns anything, it's for anyone to use anywhere they want, and start little events across the nation. Bringing fun to roboteers where ever they are, with this little shared bit of kit - instead of waiting and hoping one of the main events goes near them.
    Thoughts on that?
    Last edited by Redirect Left; 25th April 2018 at 16:05.

Team Kaizen

A bit of a radical solution I am thinking of, is perhaps it is worth setting up a collective of Roboteers, and together work towards buying a shared arena, for use by anyone part of the group as they need, and we all go about with this one (plus probably another few for the mini games). Doing this, the costs are split, and no one person owns anything, it's for anyone to use anywhere they want, and start little events across the nation. Bringing fun to roboteers where ever they are, with this little shared bit of kit - instead of waiting and hoping one of the main events goes near them.
    Thoughts on that?
    I wouldn't go for that, the question of who owns the arena(s) would still be present and what if I wanted to use it for a few tests for example? I might have to traipse across the country to get it, which rather defeats the point of this.

Your best bet, in the short term really, is for someone to own the arena and for them to be happy for Robot Rally to use that arena until Robot Rally's arena is ready where Robot Rally (or Bad Sciences) owns that as an asset.
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 25th April 2018 at 15:59.

Redirect Left
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocracoke View Post
    I wouldn't go for that, the question of who owns the arena(s) would still be present and what if I wanted to use it for a few tests for example? I might have to traipse across the country to get it, which rather defeats the point of this.
    Well, the idea was to cover events, not just tests. You are of course right, there would need to be some body (in this idea, probably Bad Science Limited) or something that ultimately owns the assets, but essentially loans them out.

That idea was more thinking out loud than anything serious.

Team Kaizen

My apologies, I've just re-read my reply and it might have come across a bit harsh, sorry. I can kind of see where you were going with this but I'd think it'd create more problems than it would solve, best to keep it simple so everyone knows where they stand with this

Register To Comment