Register To Comment
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Deathly Hallows - FW - Alligrater

Team Kaizen

Soldering is a bit of a faff I agree - it is a matter of waiting a few minutes to get it really hot and then feeding the soldering in. Solder with flux corded stuff in it also helps.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Been a few days since my last update.

I have been working on the chassis. A tubular frame inside the HDPE is now partly assembled.

IMG_20180527_202510.jpg

I am bolting it together, and then bolting the HDPE armour and floor to it. Should be pretty solid. I am away working the next two weeks so no chance to work except at weekends.

The list of tasks is long and timemis getting short before Grantham which I hope to participate at. But I have no doubt I can get a ram bot working at the very least. A self righter and an active weapon is still my aim. Though with two high torque MY1016 motors it will still pack a punch of at least a push - lol

Spent hours in the garage this weekend working on the robot, but when imlookat the photo I wonder where the time went?

IMG_20180603_200734.jpg

A lot of time did go in bolting together, measuring and marking and the disassembling to cut or drill and reassembling for the next measurement. Due to movement and the limited accuracy I can achieve in working the materials I thought this the best practice.

The linear actuator arrived, just waiting on mounts.
    Got almist everything I need for a running bot now, just need to assemble it.

Will weigh it after I have it running with motors and self righter and see if I can add an active weapon.
    I am also wondering if I can fit a articulated tail ii like use as a club to fit the Aligator theme. But only if I have time.

Busy today
    IMG_20180609_161456.jpg

I used a small piece of angle as a horizontal strut brace at the front. Simply used the Dremel to cut some slots and filed the angle a bit before forcing it home. Increases stiffness a lot.

The vertical white HDPE is bolted ing. These will hold the fixed axle.

IMG_20180609_162842.jpg

Weighed in at this stage and 9.9kg! Oops. Never mind an active weapon this is going very tight. Some holes (which I will claim are for ventilation later) will be needed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Some notes on the other parts of the build.

I bought a Gimson Robotics linear actuator. Impressed with it so far. Claimed at 29mm/s at 12V, they say it runs comfortably at 18V, which it has done under no load. I will have to run two circuits in the robot an 18V and a 6S ~22.4V circuit. I may have a third 5V circuit for led's etc.

To operate the the linear actuator, I saw in another thread the idea of using two microswitches (10A versions I located) and a servo motor to operate one or the other. I have some small servo's I got for ants, that I will use.

Small recommendation on the microswitches idea: if you're going to do that, I'd recommend commissioning a 3D printed holder for those, as well as to insulate the connectors. I attempted to use the switches with my model, but just found them too fiddly in the end, and so used an ESC instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooty View Post
    Small recommendation on the microswitches idea: if you're going to do that, I'd recommend commissioning a 3D printed holder for those, as well as to insulate the connectors. I attempted to use the switches with my model, but just found them too fiddly in the end, and so used an ESC instead.
    Thanks I will look at what I can do to fix them firmly.y

My biggest concern at this point is weight. When I weighed it last it was 11.5kg, without battery or any other electrics or the front ramp and hinge. This is a problem but not insurmountable.

IMG_20180610_210344.jpg

Chain drive is fitted, linear actuator is fitted. I installed a 12-24v led in rear for "alive/powered" indicator.

I will now continue to work on electronics. Before looking for ways to lose weight from the body.

Possibilities include:
    Drilling holes in floor
    Drilling holes in frames
    Drilling holes in sides
    Smaller battery
    Lightening the wheels
    Smaller battery

Team Kaizen

Looking very neat and tidy, looking forwards to seeing this at Grantham if you are coming.

Possibilities include:
    Drilling holes in floor
    Drilling holes in frames
    Drilling holes in sides
    Smaller battery
    Lightening the wheels
    Smaller battery
    I would probably go with "drilling holes in the floor", "drilling holes in the wheels" (which I added :P) and and "drilling holes in the frame" would help. I wouldn't fit a smaller battery right at this moment unless you could match the capacity with a lighter battery.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

I'd recommend holes in the base and rear myself. Mainly areas that don't leave important components in immediate danger. Also make sure holes aren't too near angles in the robot, as that increases the likelihood of splitting. My machine is fairly similarly built to yours, and when it came to the actual machine, I mainly put holes at the top of the lifter, any supports, the front of the base, and the rear where the Linac was (reasoning being the only machine that could go through the holes was one with a spike, and not with enough force to damage the linac). Do not recommend holes in the sides, they're far more likely to see action then your rear, and a hit to those could seriously damage the integrity of your bot.

Thanks Shooty. - PS it was your thread where the linear control using micro switches was listed.

I have a bit of titanium plate behind rear bulkhead coring out some holes here would-be low risk
    Once I know exactly where the internal electronics will be located I can drill the holes in the floor.
    The aluminium square is 2mm so a few holes is not going to weaken it considerably

I am thinking of using polycarbonate with a thin Ti sheet on top for the bottom of the ramp. A composite structure you could say. It could take big whack and be lighter than steel I think. Anybody tried something similar?

Register To Comment