Register To Comment

Thread: Attitude Adjuster (Beetleweight)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Inspired by going to the filming of S1 and S3 of the Robot Wars reboot, my friend and I have decided to each build a beetleweight robot and are aiming to complete them in time for the Euro championships.

I want something that's more interesting than a box on wheels and I've always liked hammer/axe bots like Terrorhurtz, Beta and Mega Melvin so I've decided to design and build one of those. I know they're not super effective at the lower weight classes, but that suits me as I want something that isn't a scary spinner for my first build.

After reading all of the build threads in here (and being particularly inspired by the detailed build diary for This Is Not A Drill, amongst others), over the last few weeks and months I've been gathering bits and learning to CAD on Fusion 360. I used to "build" vapour bots in CAD back in the days of Series 5-7, so it is all coming back. I have also joined a local hackerspace, so I have access to a workspace with suitable tools for making a beetleweight.

This is the design I have so far. It's still WIP as I think there is some wasted space, and it is pretty close to the weight limit so I'll need to lighten it somehow.

attitude_adjuster_v2_2018-Apr-04_09-44-41PM-000_CustomizedView20567221937.png attitude_adjuster_v2_2018-Apr-04_11-19-42PM-000_CustomizedView40449509705.png

The bulkheads are 10mm HDPE, the wheelguards and rear are 5mm HDPE, the top and bottom are 2mm polycarb and the wedge is 1.2mm Grade 5 titanium.

It's driven by 2 of the standard 1000rpm motors, with a 3S 1000mAh Hobbyking lipo and a Sabertooth 2x12A ESC.

The axe is 10mm square aluminium 6061 bar, with a 2mm Grade 5 titanium axe head. It's currently powered by another 1000rpm motor geared down by a toothed belt at ~2.5:1. I think that probably needs to be changed though, it's too fast for an axe and I don't think it will have enough torque to self right. I was thinking about either a 37mm 500rpm gearmotor I have lying around, or possibly even going brushless for the weight/size reduction. The only doubts I have about brushless are that I'm not sure what motor to use or whether that's too ambitious for a first build?

Ebay has been my friend for this, I picked up a second hand DX6i, all the random bits of metal, a Chinese car ESC for messing around with and all the screws.

I've made a test bot made of some eBay motor mounts and a bit of polycarb that I can go chasing the cat with to prove that I can actually build a robot and wire it.

IMG_9592.jpg

I've also built a test axe platform using an old chopping board I had lying around. The cat REALLY doesn't like that.

IMG_9585.jpg

And finally a bit of CAD (cardboard aided design) to check that everything is a sensible scale.

IMG_9584.jpg

The most important part is thinking of a good name, which I am rubbish at. I decided to take inspiration from the ships of Iain Banks' Culture series of books, and the one that jumped out at me was "Attitude Adjuster", so I went for that.

As soon as I finish the CAD design to a "good enough" standard then I'll be able to start building! Any comments/feedback on my design so far? In particular I'm interested in feedback on the weapon, on electronics/brushless motors, and whether I'm doing anything stupid.
    Last edited by scott; 4th April 2018 at 23:27.

Register To Comment