Register To Comment
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Curving Polycarbonate

Agreed, we only get one or two events in the north a year. Anyone living in Sheffield, Leeds, Newcastle or even Scotland would be delighted by the prospect of more events in their nick of the woods!

Redirect Left
    So i've tried talking to manufacturers about getting polycarb curved before being shipped out, turns out that increases the price by several factors. Might have to scrap that idea altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Theo View Post
    More Northern events? Yes please.

The insect classes are the way to start; however the arena classifications need to be updated
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathly Hallows View Post
    A northern circuit would be excellent news!
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny B View Post
    Agreed, we only get one or two events in the north a year. Anyone living in Sheffield, Leeds, Newcastle or even Scotland would be delighted by the prospect of more events in their nick of the woods!
    Cheers for your words. I'll be making a seperate thread at some point this week for that venture. I need to do a few things first, mostly think of a name and finalise a few things and figure out best place to post it on the forum.
    Last edited by Redirect Left; 16th April 2018 at 20:09.

If it is for the arena, someone has made one using 2 sheets of 2mm ply carbonate that's easier to bend into a curve and bolt together as a curve

think this is the postm, but images are down, google has shown me this:

http://www.robotwars101.org/forum/vi...3e8fd&start=60

http://picus.org.uk/events/2015.html
    Last edited by Roboteernat; 17th April 2018 at 11:39.

I had a little Google search and saw a few entries where people are talking about making replacement windshields for old race cars and bikes. They heat the material in an oven, lay it over a mould and clamp it down. Not sure how big your parts are but if they would fit in a standard or wide consumer oven, could be an option. You'd want a fan oven pre-heated to avoid hot spots causing problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathly Hallows View Post
    I had a little Google search and saw a few entries where people are talking about making replacement windshields for old race cars and bikes. They heat the material in an oven, lay it over a mould and clamp it down. Not sure how big your parts are but if they would fit in a standard or wide consumer oven, could be an option. You'd want a fan oven pre-heated to avoid hot spots causing problems.
    I would not use a over your planning you cook food in as you don't no what chemicals could be released from heating

Quote Originally Posted by Maxamuslead View Post
    I would not use a over your planning you cook food in as you don't no what chemicals could be released from heating
    I would certainly not say anything is safe or not, as I am not a chemist. You can see here some info https://www.directplastics.co.uk/abo...in-those-fumes and make your own decision. I suppose picking up an old oven on gumtree is always an option, and setting it up outside for ventilation.

Register To Comment