Register To Comment
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Team Pushover - Pullover (Ant)

So, after much procrastination, here goes my first build...

Pullover is an Ant variant of my intended Feather, a 2 wheeled front hinge flipper, the general idea is use a central spine and wrap some armour around it (that doesn't sound quite right, but all will become clear... I hope)

Some parts haven't arrived yet, I'm still waiting on the motors, and haven't decided what to do about radio gear BUT I couldn't wait and made a tentative start...

I'm going to be using a NanoTwo V3, got some 2s LiPo's, managed to snag a handful of 9g servos, and various bits of scrap plastics from a skip or two.

The belly pan section in the photos are just me playing with ideas, it wont be going all the way to the front to save weight, it only needs to hold the electronics in, and so far parts and roughly half of the fittings come to 74g, need to add some for the motors, RX, and the arm and it might come in at 164g if my maths is right, but there's plenty of scope to save weight.

Lets see if I can make pictures work...
    20180317_155959.jpg

EDIT: managed to drop a pic in, also may or my not scrap the spine...
    Last edited by Retroman; 18th March 2018 at 12:37.

Team Kaizen

I don't see the photos I am afraid. Reads like it should be a interesting build though, can't wait to see it
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

First photo added

Well, pullover has been scrapped and started again... with the materials I have, the front hinge set up was overweight without motors or battery... yeah...

So I changed it to use a flippy-grabby sort of thing, this has reduced weight drastically.

There is also a minor complication of only one motor turning up... so, with one wheel on my wagon, and coming in at 115g with 11g to add for the remaining motor, here she Is!

Also a bonus pic in it's cube, so tiny!20180331_174403.jpg20180331_174251.jpg

Team Kaizen

The grabby thing reminds me of Incomplete Control from the Beetleweight class, should be pretty effective

A-haa!!! That's what it was called, a black 4 wheel machine with a grabber...

Yeah I should have between 200 and 240g of force at the hook, and the little bend across gives slightly more effective width for flipping (if it even will) and the arch in the rod shortens the arm for maximum torque for self righting... at least that's all the theory anyway.

Just need that last motor and a bigger resistor for the power led and it's ready to bind and test. Can't wait.

Well, it appears that the Pullover is Complete!

The other motor arrived, and everything fits inside...just...

It's not as pretty as the builds I've looked at, but it's fairly solid and compact. That slot in front of the wheel is for the LED, i havent glued it yet and pushed it in attaching the body. The only thing I'm missing now is a suitable TX.

Final question; is that fuse tucked under the front going to be acceptable as a removable link before I hot glue the terminals in place?

20180407_185218.jpg20180407_185201.jpg20180407_185056.jpg
    Last edited by Retroman; 7th April 2018 at 21:24. Reason: Spelling

Team Kaizen

Final question; is that fuse tucked under the front going to be acceptable as a removable link before I hot glue the terminals in place?
    I do know of folks who do use fuses as removable links in the FW category so I can't see this being an issue here. AWS rules state that a switch can also be used in place of a link (http://robotwars101.org/ants/rules.htm) so you are probably going to be OK here.

Awesome Thank you. Just worried about the positioning.

It had a switch originally, but it really is that tight inside that I didn't have room for the back of the switch, I've tried to make the body round the electronics as small as physically possible with what I had... and got a bit carried away... once I've hot glued, and velcro'd the NanoTwo a bit better I'll post some i eternal pics to show what I mean.

I did manage to bring it in at 129g without acetate tho, so I'm proud of that for a first attempt.

As promised, here is a video from the initial testing.

Let me know what everyone thinks, but be gentle, it's my first one afterall...

Register To Comment