Register To Comment
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Team Bitza - Banshee

Thanks for the input. I'm going to give it a go and see how well the EDF can move the drum, ideally I'd like to funnel the air directly onto the veins but I've read EDFs really suffer when restricted. If it comes to it theres enough weight and space to swap the EDF for a conventional belt driven setup.

I've got a slight dilemma at the moment. I bought a length of 25mm x 50mm 7075 a while back that I was planning on making this from, but completely messed up the original design and its too large for the material. I've changed the design to work with what I've got, but it doesn't look as strong and its a little heavier. I can't find any 50mm x 50mm 7075 online, but I can buy 6082 T6 that will work.

Do I machine a worse design from a stronger grade ali, or will the 6082 be good enough? Also I've no experience machine high grade aluminium. I'll be using a small CNC at the school I teach at, would it be worth setting the machine as if it's machining steel or keep it as ali?

Pic 1 + 2 are the original larger sides that could be machined from 6082 T6
    Pic 3 + 4 are the ones that I can machine from the 7075

Thanks

50mm Bulkheads 2.PNG50mm Bulkheads 3.PNG25mm Bulkheads 2.PNG25mm Bulkheads 3.PNG

We have a Denford Novamill at school. I have access to a larger Denford Triac but last time I used it I blew the spindle drive thrysisitor bank, I think because there wasn’t enough power supply to the garage. I’m sure the Triac could handle it, but it’ll be a while until it’s fixed and the electricity supply beefed up.

Any suggestions for 7075 suppliers? I need a 50mm x 50mm x 320mm length. Thanks.

Time for an update on the 2 beetles.

Ankle biter is taking shape nicely, it's a simpler build with far less to make on the CNC mill. Progress was slightly held back when I came across a 1930's lathe on Gumtree, it took some a little coaxing to bring back to life, but it's a nice addition to the garage and came in handy finishing off the ali. The Ti and Hardox were cut at K-cut and I've just a few more parts to fabricate before it's combat ready.

IMG_2020.jpgIMG_6006.jpg
    IMG_5892.jpg IMG_5891.jpg
    IMG_5767.jpgIMG_5797.jpg
    IMG_5914.jpgIMG_6013.jpg

Banshee is going a fair bit slower, the sides need a bigger mill to fabricate so I'm currently trying to repair the Triac and source a suitable machine vice for it. After much fettling the Ti armour sits together nicely, and the Hardox teeth sit snugly on the drum. Unfortunately the vein holders came back from K-cut without the slits for the veins in them, so having to rethink how to catch the air from the EDF, also the waterjet must have started on the part as each tooth has a notch in, hopefully it wont make it too unbalanced.

IMG_5717.jpgIMG_5881.jpg
    IMG_5911.JPGIMG_6016.jpg

Enjoying the process so far, but it's certainly a much slower way to build than some of the other machines PJ and I have made in the past!

Very nice work!

Register To Comment