Register To Comment
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ant Weight Circuit Help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Bad Wolf
    Posted once or twice before but Ive recently started putting things together for my Ant Weight, after looking at a bag of Components doing nothing for far too long.

So Ive got to this stage of building the circuit

Stage 1 -

https://i.imgur.com/MDQQLJ5.jpg

After plugging in the battery the Green light comes on

Stage 2 -

https://i.imgur.com/V200qBV.jpg

and then I plug the Lemon in and it flashes Red,

https://i.imgur.com/Cq11Vjy.jpg

Then the right motor starts moving, I then bind the controller (Devo 7e) and Ive managed to get it to stop running the motor is I hold down the opposite way on the throttle however this only lasts a short time and then the motor just stops completely after 30 seconds to 1 min. And then no matter what I do on the controller I cant get either motor to move again.

Here is a video of the motor coming on

( I hadn't Bound the transmitter in that video, but its the same once bound ) One motor spinning until I hold the throttle the other way.

I have had a play around with putting JR connectors in different pins of the lemon but none are really giving me much different results.

Just wondering what am I doing wrong? How do I go about solving these issues?

Just wanted to say a massive thanks to Ocracoke as well, for his help to get me to this stage as I wouldn't have been able to get anywhere near it without his assistance! Massive help!

Bad Wolf

Team Kaizen

The Lemon flashing red means it is in bind mode - I'd remove the bind plug first if the Devo is already bound to it (http://www.micronradiocontrol.co.uk/..._RX_manual.pdf), no need to be in there once it is bound.

I notice on the ESC that the middle light is flickering - does any of the documentation that came with the ESC state what those LEDs are for?
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Bad Wolf
    I’ve done it again with the bind plug out this time, here’s a video of it, and showing the throttle changing the motor speed but then it cuts out all together.

Bad Wolf

Hey there, I have some questions regarding your motor driver and motors. I apologise in advance if they are to simple or patronising.

1st are you using an AWESC dual channel motor controller, found here?
    https://www.arc-robotics.org.uk/prod...ed-controller/

Those esc's use DRV8848 dual h-bridge motor drivers and has over current lockout protection when you exceed 2A on one channel. Did you buy those motors with the ESC or separately? Are you motors drawing more than 2 A each? (that may not be the case as those i have never seen those type of motors exceed more than 1.6A at stall, which is not the case for you)

I assume that you have soldered everything yourself? Just double check that there are no tiny bits of wire or flecks of solder between the motor contacts. It can be the most minuscule bit ever but that will be enough to short circuit a motor and put you in over current lockout.

Also have you bought a mixed or unmixed ESC and are you using mixing on your devo remote?

Bad Wolf
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
    Hey there, I have some questions regarding your motor driver and motors. I apologise in advance if they are to simple or patronising.

1st are you using an AWESC dual channel motor controller, found here?
    https://www.arc-robotics.org.uk/prod...ed-controller/

Those esc's use DRV8848 dual h-bridge motor drivers and has over current lockout protection when you exceed 2A on one channel. Did you buy those motors with the ESC or separately? Are you motors drawing more than 2 A each? (that may not be the case as those i have never seen those type of motors exceed more than 1.6A at stall, which is not the case for you)

I assume that you have soldered everything yourself? Just double check that there are no tiny bits of wire or flecks of solder between the motor contacts. It can be the most minuscule bit ever but that will be enough to short circuit a motor and put you in over current lockout.

Also have you bought a mixed or unmixed ESC and are you using mixing on your devo remote?
    No need to apologise haha Yes Its the AWESC Dual Channel Motor Controller, I bought the motors separately, I have bought about 5-6 sets of motors, all very similar and all the same size roughly.

Yeah Ive soldered everything myself ( First try since I was in school, so ill admit its not the finest of work you will see haha) so yeah might be a problem there, Ill go over the whole board again and see if there are any smaller bits sticking out etc.

I THINK I bought Mixed, but I'm not sure. Ive done the flashing thing on my Devo remote as I bought an AxeBot from Shakey recently.

Just to add... I also wanted to ask about how Id go about adding an on off switch ? Because at the moment I just take the battery out. Any Ideas?

Thanks

Luke
    Last edited by Bad Wolf; 9th February 2018 at 14:35.

For the on off switch just put a xt60 or similar on the positive wire. Basically a giant jumper.
    Straight after battery cut the positive wire. Wire one end to + side and other end to - side of xt60. Loop of cable on other side.
    When inserted it makes circuit, when removed it kills the power.

Team Kaizen

For the on off switch just put a xt60 or similar on the positive wire.
    XT60's are overkill for Antweights. I would use the same type of plug as what is on the battery.

Hey there, im sorry for not responding over the weekend. How are you getting on with your ant kit?

Just to add... I also wanted to ask about how Id go about adding an on off switch ? Because at the moment I just take the battery out. Any Ideas?
    As Ocracoke says, making a safety link out of the same plug types as the battery , i believe they are called JST connectors.
    Another way you can do it is by including a miniature single pole double throw switch on the positive rail in between battery and your electronics. I use the one on the link below on my ant brutal barbera:

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/single-po...iniature-ff77j

That switch is rated at 125 Vac 0.3A. However, when using low DC, as in 7.4V, i have found it can handle more significantly more current (at least around the ~1Amp range). provided you dont switch it off to many times when your ant is at maximum loading, the switch should survive for quite a while.
    Last edited by Scottie; 12th February 2018 at 14:58.

Bad Wolf
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
    Hey there, im sorry for not responding over the weekend. How are you getting on with your ant kit

As Ocracoke says, making a safety link out of the same plug types as the battery , i believe they are called JST connectors.
    Another way you can do it is by including a miniature single pole double throw switch on the positive rail in between battery and your electronics. I use the one on the link on
    my ant brutal barbera:

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/single-po...iniature-ff77j

That switch is rated at 125 Vac 0.3A. However, when using low DC, as in 7.4V, i have found it can handle more significantly more current (at least around the ~1Amp range). provided you dont switch it off to many times when your ant is at maximum loading to many times, the switch should survive for quite a while.

Ive re solded all the wires I felt we’re abit dodgy, and tried again, but still having no luck. same problems of one motor going full pelt, and the other doing nothing. I’ve got a few other sets of motors I’ll try before flipping and throwing it all the bin hahaha any other ideas of what I’m doing wrong?

ill give that switch a go as well! I’ll pick one up later!

Bad Wolf

Team Kaizen

I’ll try before flipping and throwing it all the bin hahaha any other ideas of what I’m doing wrong?
    I think the next thing to do is verify that all of the radio wires are soldered into the right pads on the ESC (they do look correct but without the wiring diagram, I can't be certain). In the video, the middle LED on ESC is also flashing where it seemed to be more constant before, what does that mean? Does any of the documentation with the ESC help explain this?

Register To Comment