Register To Comment

Thread: Question About Electric Axes

Hello all. I've been doing some back-of-an-envelope robot designs and have had the idea to do a filthy great axebot for some time now, but one of the things I'm quite nervous of is pneumatics. Let's just say there was a bad experience paintballing when I was 13 and leave it at that. However, I know for a fact that Bombshell's axe was electrically operated and quite good, and I was wondering if people could give me some pointers about how it all worked (I've tried looking for instructional videos/diagrams and have come up a bit short - my Google Fu is weak and pitiful. =]).

The other idea I had in this regard was to essentially combine the best of both worlds when it comes to axes and have the motive force for the axe drive shaft thingy be a whacking great solenoid. In theory, this combines the instant delivery of a pneumatic axe with the fight-long reliability of an electric one, but one thing I'm worried about is whether or not it would be within the rules on the use of magnets in weaponry. I realise this really is something of a technicality and it's a rather moot point when I haven't even built a prototype yet, but this is probably the best time to ask - I don't want to spend ages building something specifically for the purpose of getting some fighting experience in on the live circuits only to be told that the weapon's illegal.

Please note that I do not even have the vaguest semblance of an engineering background, so layman's terms are extremely welcome in replies. The only reason I've been able to come up with the solenoid design is because my father and I collect, maintain, and repair pinball machines (we used to run a small heritage arcade in Dreamland on Margate seafront as well) and such things are a big part of the job. If it's totally unfeasible and would make the coil/robot blow up, please say, but any and all constructive criticism is appreciated. If I can get my scanner working, I'll plonk some pictures of the robot's overall design in the thread at a later date. =]

Thanks in advance,
    Cass

Kashei, our feather, uses an electric motor ( NTM5060 270KV on 4S) and a 25-1 gearratio (aboutish) with gears. Took quite a while to get reliable, but we seem to have gotten there.

Quote Originally Posted by Limitaneus View Post
    Hello all. I've been doing some back-of-an-envelope robot designs and have had the idea to do a filthy great axebot for some time now, but one of the things I'm quite nervous of is pneumatics. Let's just say there was a bad experience paintballing when I was 13 and leave it at that. However, I know for a fact that Bombshell's axe was electrically operated and quite good, and I was wondering if people could give me some pointers about how it all worked (I've tried looking for instructional videos/diagrams and have come up a bit short - my Google Fu is weak and pitiful. =]).

The other idea I had in this regard was to essentially combine the best of both worlds when it comes to axes and have the motive force for the axe drive shaft thingy be a whacking great solenoid. In theory, this combines the instant delivery of a pneumatic axe with the fight-long reliability of an electric one, but one thing I'm worried about is whether or not it would be within the rules on the use of magnets in weaponry. I realise this really is something of a technicality and it's a rather moot point when I haven't even built a prototype yet, but this is probably the best time to ask - I don't want to spend ages building something specifically for the purpose of getting some fighting experience in on the live circuits only to be told that the weapon's illegal.

Please note that I do not even have the vaguest semblance of an engineering background, so layman's terms are extremely welcome in replies. The only reason I've been able to come up with the solenoid design is because my father and I collect, maintain, and repair pinball machines (we used to run a small heritage arcade in Dreamland on Margate seafront as well) and such things are a big part of the job. If it's totally unfeasible and would make the coil/robot blow up, please say, but any and all constructive criticism is appreciated. If I can get my scanner working, I'll plonk some pictures of the robot's overall design in the thread at a later date. =]

Thanks in advance,
    Cass
    look at John Reids Beta, that is a electric hammer/axe bot, not to take away from bombshell clever design, but i always saw that axe as a token point score weapon.

If you look at feathers a lot of them use scooter motors for the power source as they are cheap, easily avaible on ebay and are tried and tested.

Speaking of which.

Quote Originally Posted by maddox10 View Post
    Kashei, our feather, uses an electric motor ( NTM5060 270KV on 4S) and a 25-1 gearratio (aboutish) with gears. Took quite a while to get reliable, but we seem to have gotten there.
    how does that compare to scooter axe bots ?

A few times smaller, lighter and stronger.

Register To Comment