Register To Comment
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ESC recommendations

Yup so far so good.
    I'm a first time heavy so bought 2 of these for ease really within my needs for now.

So far I have been running 2x 24v motors with 36v power No issues yet, doesn't
    Even get warm. I'm using heavy wheel chair motors with gearboxes . I will be trying a few other combinations

wired in 3 minutes and cope with abuse quite a few shocks and knocks drop tested.
    Fans are on instantly when connected to power and I think they will be first failure point the rest is well built.

I am about to test lipo set up 6s which is its Upper limit so we will see so can tell you more shortly

Quote Originally Posted by Theo View Post
    I think Katch uses them in his heavy. Not heard any problems so far but it does look quite fragile so I'd second shock mounting it.
    Last edited by katch; 14th January 2018 at 19:50.

There's a few things to bear in mind of course, what suits one Robot may
    not suit another, I'm assuming that the Team Katch robot has quite small wheels
    and together with the wheelchair gearbox should not draw a lot of Amps-
    Where as if you have big wheels and a ratio of say 3:1 and no gearbox
    the speed controller may not handle the increased load.
    Take into account the weight of a Robot too-is it 55kg or 110kg and
    what sort of voltage are you putting in-lots of variables

I currently test with 95 kilo loaded and 225mm wheels direct to gearbox shaft if that' any help

Do you have a link or picture of the speed controller you are using
    Team Katch and are you using one lipo at 22 volt or 2 in series because
    those cytron are rated at 45 volt I believe, the tester will be when you
    try pushing another 100kg Robot in competition.

https://www.robotshop.com/uk/cytron-...or-driver.html
    1281D5EE-0A91-43D4-BAEC-74734CFA2CE6.jpeg
    They have a peak of 100A and are pretty cheap for heavy ESCs.

An esc that relies on fans to run is a very bad idea in combat robots. Fans just can't hold up to the abuse.

That Cytron is what i have 2 off as - photo'd above. I was talking to a friend who uses it to push his cesna plane around with a radio control battery power unit and thats why i bought it because it lives in a sealed box and hes had it 3 years running it round.

I have bought it to experiment with, but only a live fight will tell if they are any use, so take it all as you will. I wanted easy tank steering and it plugged into my dx6i and was working within minutes of opening the box an thats exactly what i wanted for testing. I haven't even read the instructions of dx6i so i may even have a restricted throttle but would never know lol !

To be perfectly honest i couldn't be bothered with brushless esc's learning it all was a headache i wanted a plug and play fun to get my bot up and running. So if i blow one up i'm not bothered i have a spare. This bot is all about having fun and disposable when the mild steel gets ruined - i'm not an expert but i want to enjoy the whole process rather than get it perfect first time and spend all my money on getting it exactly right. I'd find that boring although cheaper.

I have a very cheap supply of motorcycle batteries £3 each new - which also increases my testing weights which can only be good when i swap to 6s. I have been messing about with run 36v 3x 12v in series bike batteries with spec below. I have run with Cytron using 4x 12v / 48v volts bike batteries on saturday just gone and the speed controller was fine but the motors didn't like it much so i opted for 36v for now. I have a stash of new motors so i think they will perform better too.

I am waiting for delivery of 6s packs turnigy but i think i have ordered the wrong packs lol.. doh i can swap them to get my voltages back down.

Pack Type CP
    Capacity Ah (10-HR) 10
    Capacity Ah (20-HR) 10.5
    Weight with acid (kg) 4.2
    Acid volume (litre) 0.6
    Charge current (Amps) 1.2
    Terminal Type 5
    Length (mm) 150
    Width (mm) 87
    Height (mm) 130
    Feature Range Maintenance Free

I'm testing the Cytron shortly with several things when they arrive:

- Direct drive chain and sprockets - motorcycle stuff so pennys per sprocket but last forever.
    - 6 s power sources - turnigy packs
    - new motors on new gearboxes 36v with 24v motors
    - 36v rewound motors rated for 36v "recondition" but new

I'll upload videos when testing starts and i'll also do a head to head test with Dave against High 5 if he is willing to see a true load test and we can all laugh if my esc explodes !!

Quote Originally Posted by team death View Post
    Do you have a link or picture of the speed controller you are using
    Team Katch and are you using one lipo at 22 volt or 2 in series because
    those cytron are rated at 45 volt I believe, the tester will be when you
    try pushing another 100kg Robot in competition.
    Last edited by katch; 17th January 2018 at 10:21.

the problem with that esc is that in a combat situation the fans will very likely get damaged and as Gary stated that, that ESC needs those fans to be able to deliver those rated amps, without fans i believe it can only do 40a (not sure where i read that, i THINK it was in its user manual). Also it decreases it duty cycle as the temperature increases very sharply

Register To Comment