Register To Comment
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ESC recommendations

I wouldn't recommend those controllers. The current capacity figures are hobbyamps (not true amp ratings) plus interfacing them with radio gear would be a pain.

Some examples of heavyweight controllers used these days,

- Vantec
    - Roboteq
    - Vex victor BB
    - Ragebridge (these probably won't take the full 36v you plan)

In short, they aren't cheap but if you buy cheap you'll end up spending more cash when they blow.

That is a heap of capacitators... Don't believe that will fair well in our mechanical gladiators.

I agree with Gary. Buy cheap is to buy a lot more. And still end up with one of the more expensive ESC's.
    On the other hand, it could be you did find a hidden gem.

Robot Power Vypers look good too.

Our friendly German electronics wizzard is also working on a heavyweight ESC, the IBF4.6. But that isn't commercial ready yet.

If your only looking for single channel and cheap, you could go old school with 4QD controllers

At 500w, you could keep them at 24v and possibly go with a pair of TZ85s, the chapest heavy ESC you can get (£62.50 each on Ranglebox iirc). But they can't really handle any more than that.

What do you call cheap? ESC's that are difficult to control? Lacking fine control, making the machine unsteerable? Or blowing up every fight some demand is placed upon them?

A good ESC is something you don't have to replace after 2 fights (unless you did it wrong).
    Our Sidewinders survived years of abuse in Hannibal( fried 1 there, lack of current limiting on 1 channel, later rectified by Robot Power) Mantis, Obsidian, kan-Opener and Bullfrog.

What is your overall budget for a heavyweight because I get the feeling you may have underestimated the costs involved?

For reference, a typical heavyweight will set you back several thousand pounds.

Yeh its best to give information in Quantitative rather than Qualitative terms.

Cheap for me and cheap for you are going to be two different things, best to work out a budget and specifications and then give a rough idea of what your looking for.

Register To Comment