Register To Comment
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: ESC recommendations

If thats the case then secondary fans maybe necessary to protect it, but they are only 50p

have you got a thread running ? i have one title NEW HEAVY but i need to be less lazy and get more up.

Quote Originally Posted by T00TY_FRU1TY View Post
    Awesome katch sounds like a similar drive setup to my design.

I can't wait to see your build.

I'm planning to start after Easter.

"If thats the case then secondary fans maybe necessary to protect it, but they are only 50p "

Those fans will also likely be nackered in the first hit from a heavyweight. I'm not saying this to be difficult, I'm trying to save you time, money and disappointment

Fans in robotwars belong in the stands, not in the machines. Tried that. From the cheapest recycled computer fans, to the most sturdy industrial versions Pabst could deliver.
    Shocks like our machines experience will destroy them in a decent fight.

I can see its a valid point, but i've never actually seen a pc fan fail because it was knocked, but there are alternative fan designs. As i already have 2 of these cryton units its a good observation, and easily fixed with more than 1 fan or fan type or even a larger heat sink i guess, not looked at that as an option yet perhaps ?

Quote Originally Posted by typhoon_driver View Post
    "If thats the case then secondary fans maybe necessary to protect it, but they are only 50p "

Those fans will also likely be nackered in the first hit from a heavyweight. I'm not saying this to be difficult, I'm trying to save you time, money and disappointment

Have a go with fans. Please tell us the results.

I personaly won't use a fan in a robot wars machine.
    Tried it a few times, failed miserably. Even with extensive shock mounting.

Had even the internal fan on a Bosch 750 fail ...That pressed steel shape started munching the windings... From then on I removed those.

If a fan experiences a shock of 500G (not unrealistic) it will fail. Go ask a fan manufacturer what shock load they will guarantee it to. Chances are they will say "none".

A knock, dropping a computer off a desk is very different to being inside a heavyweight flipped or smashed through the air.

Both Mario and I have decades of experience building in various weight classes and we are both saying the same thing. I'd heavily recommend taking our advice.

Team Kaizen

Worth getting the controller, removing the top cover (seems to be held on with motherboard standoff screws), getting a passive CPU cooler and some thermal paste and putting that on the ESC? You could retain the fans as a secondary measure then.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Register To Comment