Register To Comment

Thread: Team Blacksmith: Forge Master fw

Well after the fun and games of Manchester, Blacksmith is now retired, well sort off.

IMG_20180421_112043.jpg
    Blacksmith arrived all ready to fight.

Fight 1: Was a bust, LED Burnt out on 6s (no idea why as they are 12v led strips in series) and had no traction due to a bumpy area.

Fight 2: With the wheels modified (Thanks Al for the tyre and Thanks Rory for the Sreaws
    and Foam tape stuff) and the LEDs where not completely dead yet everything was ready . the match went well enough uitl the link fell loose.

Match 3: Tis was a short match, There was very little repair from the previous day the LEDs had died completey so with the help from Al (I am seeing a pattern here) from it was a easy morning, so entery this match i was preaty happy with everything right up until Drumroll came along and took a nibble and removed a wheel (hit the left handed thread bolt) and left me spinning.
    IMG_20180422_145540.jpg

Match 4: Last Match and after making a new wheel (last one vinished) and finding a new left bolt (thanks again Al) Blacksmith was ready and this match was my best. Almost when the full 3 minutes, with about 10 seconds left Binky happened.
    IMG_20180422_174203.jpgIMG_20180426_172603.jpgIMG_20180504_193209.jpg

Anyway onto Forge Master,

very similer in looks just improved,

Bigger drive motors (24v 775 which might produce as much as 1hp each)
    Better wheels (custom HDPE ones)
    Better centre off mass
    Better frame overall

With much help from Al, we go all of the HDPE parts made.
    IMG_20180507_185904.jpg
    Just need to make some new Alu blocks (some old ones where poorly made)
    Weld up a new axe shaft with the hammer and sprocket attacted permanently to it.

But with everything going to plan it should driving around by Sunday and battle ready in two weeks.

LINK to all the photos up to now and during milling.

Team Kaizen

Blimey, looking good. I spy the wheels I sent your way in one of your photos, I guess you ended up not using those?
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Quote Originally Posted by Ocracoke View Post
    Blimey, looking good. I spy the wheels I sent your way in one of your photos, I guess you ended up not using those?
    using the tyre

Team Kaizen

Very good, how big/wide are the wheels now? I guess they are slightly bigger than Blacksmith's?
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Quote Originally Posted by Ocracoke View Post
    Very good, how big/wide are the wheels now? I guess they are slightly bigger than Blacksmith's?
    wider (30mm) and a little bigger diameter

Done some work to Forge Master but i am waiting on parts and money. Planning on buying a bench drill just need to find a good deal somewhere. But i haven't been ideal.

I fixed the wedge and welded up the hammer shaft and sproket (not that well, sproket is not straight) but the major thing has bean driving and testing the new drive.

Test 1

Went well until a pinion slipped on he left hand motor, fixed now with a spacer and some loctite.

But noted that wedge was lifting alot due to increase amout of power in the driver soo for the next test i added a bumper bar thing.

Test 2

Drove it hard for 4 minutes and was going well intill i smelt something warm. Stop tired to see what was warm, esc felt fine (kinda surprising 30a ESC Driving 775, maddness) motors where a tad warm but i taped up the vents to keep out junk. battery was fine so i thought it was nothing. Drove not as hard then magic white smoke.....

Burnt a motor bushing holder melted.

Anyway on track for Granthem

Register To Comment