Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Destroy It Yourself - a first attempt at a FW.

Quantax-Dynamics
    Hello all!

Sorry to ask what is possibly a stupid (and certainly un-necessary question). I have a Devo 7 that I'm looking to use as a transmitter for a featherweight. I've been following (to a degree) John Findlay's guide on his youtube channel but using a pair of Botbitz 30As as Speed Controllers for the moment rather than a Sabretooth - I have a LemonRX receiver but I'm running into the issues at the moment of mixing situations.

Most people I've talked to on the discord (Garfie, Shakey, Jarvis etc) have all said the best bet is to get a new controller that can mix itself but I don't know if I can stretch to that with my finances. I'm looking at a mixer, but none of the above have been able to give me a confirmed answer about what's a good option.

I know it's probably a bit of a stretch but if anyone can give me a hand, which one should I look at out of these two:
    https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...tra-small.html
    https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...lti-mixer.html

...or am I barking up the wrong tree with these? I once again realise this is not a great question that looks very professional, but this is being done on a budget, and as a first attempt.

Best regards

Greg

Team Kaizen

I've just ordered a ultra small V-Tail mixer for one of my robots and should be with me in a day or so so I'll be in a better position to advise as to wherever that works not.

Secondary mixing like this does introduce another element that can break, hence why transmitter mixing is preferable I should think (I rather sidestepped the issue by getting a transmitter that has proper tank controls). With that said, I am sure the Devo 7 can be flashed with new firmware to allow for mixing... someone with one might be able to clarify that mind.
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 3rd January 2018 at 23:54.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

I've used the ultra small mixer in my quad rovers, and they do work. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2687740

Everyone else is suggesting you buy a mixer, but if you are using a Devo 7, I don't think you need one. I'm using a Devo 7E myself, and after doing some research, it's perfectly possible to operate 2 wheel drive using one ESC. You just need to make a few modifications. Read up on these:

Rory's post alerting people to the Devo 7 series of transmitters, as well as info about the firmware needed to modify them with: http://robotwars101.org/forum/viewto...t=2387&p=56251

Userfriendly's guide on how to mix channels on the Devo, this should be what you're looking for: http://robotwars101.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2526

Hope this helps!

Team Kaizen

The ultra small mixer works fine, as adamclark suggested. However, if it is available, I'd still go down the transmitter mixing route.
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 5th January 2018 at 02:36.

Quantax-Dynamics
    Hey guys, thanks for the input. Unfortunately it's not been a particularly good outcome.

I tried using the video in Shooty's post, and the second I did it, not only did nothing happen, but one of my Botbitz ESCs began to get very, very hot. Tried it with only one side and it worked fine, so I think I've managed to blow my ESC somehow. The motor works fine, but the receiver won't behave itself if I wire the broken one up.

Go ahead and laugh - I got a soldering iron for christmas, turned out to be a shitty 8W Maplin handheld one, so I've been using screw connectors instead. This is how it's looked at the WIP stage wiring wise. Below is a picture of the ESC after Ellis told me it was alright to remove the covering to take a look - being an incompetent spud I can't actually tell what's wrong with it.

Something's telling me I'm not cut out for robotics. :/

Team Kaizen

There is the possibility that either the battery is too powerful for it, which is unlikely given the other one works or the speed controller was duff upon arrival. Does a specific part of the controller get hot?

I wouldn't worry about using connector blocks, I use them deliberately in The Honey Badger to make swapping out components easier. They've yet to let me down.

Quantax-Dynamics
    It seems to be the black part in the lower right hand corner of the board. (by the orientation on the forums here at least - if stood up, it's to the left of the grey block that reads 220. Or at least, that's the part that burned me when I touched it).
    Last edited by Quantax-Dynamics; 5th January 2018 at 13:34.

Register To Comment