Register To Comment

Thread: Failsafe Requirements

Triceratop
    Hi, new to this world... I am in the process of completing my robot. Reading the rules it states that a failsafe is required with loss or weak signal to stop rogue movement. I am thinking of purchasing two Viper 40 HV esc controllers which have this facility built-in. Does anyone know if this is sufficient or do I need to add extra?

Team Kaizen

Hi Cliff, welcome to the forum!

I've not used this speed controllers before but it sounds about right. When a robot is tech checked before an event, one of the checks is to have the robot run full forwards on the cradle and then switch off the transmitter to simulate loss of signal. If the wheels stop turning after the signal is lost, then this would satisfy that requirement I should think.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Triceratop
    Hi Michael,
    Thanks for the prompt reply, I was hoping they would satisfy the requirements. I have looked at sprung open limit switches etc but things start to get very complicated and becomes another possible failure during combat. With this being my first build (something I have wanted to do for 20yrs..) I am trying to keep things simple and straight forward. Just got to get my application accepted now for the next series... fingers crossed.

What transmitter are you using?

Triceratop
    Hi Gary,
    Probably use my existing Ares 4channel. I only require 3 channels so should be ok. Why do you ask?

Not familiar with that particular model but model but with modern 2.4Ghz sets the failsafes are typically handed by the transmitter and receiver. Essentially when you bind one to the other, you set the positions of the sticks that you want the receiver to failsafe to.

Failsafes outside the receiver were needed back in the 40 meg days. Nowadays not so much.

Triceratop
    Hi Gary, thanks for replying. I have decided to buy a new transmitter and receiver - Considering a Flysky 2.4G FS-i6 AFHDS 2A 6 Channel Transmitter & Receiver. If you have an alternative in mind or any experience I would very grateful for any advise. It's been several years since I was RC electric car racing, so my knowledge is now old hat and probably very limited with todays technology.

Team Kaizen

The Flysky is the one I use with my Beetleweight, works fine for that application. It can do mixing as well but you need to program it via a USB connection.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Register To Comment