Register To Comment

Thread: Questions about Lipo Battery Charging

Team Kaizen

Hey Nick, welcome to the forum! I can fully appreciate where you are coming from, I only started using Lithium batteries this year and charging them for the first time did cause a bit of anxiety but so long as you follow procedure correctly in the manual, you should be OK. Do remember that with LiPo batteries, you need to be around them when charging to make sure nothing untowards happens.

Is there anything that I'm missing?
    The charger you've linked to looks fine to me but you will need to find a power supply that works with it (HobbyKing should be able to advise as to which one you need). You may also wish to invest in a charging lead that fits onto the connector your batteries are using (https://hobbyking.com/en_us/plug-kin...apter-set.html) to cover you if you do decide to change the batteries/connectors in the future. The bag is fine. Have you decided on what sort of robot you are making yet?

I'd also, if you are sticking with LiPos, make sure you are familiar with the extra set of rules regarding these in the rulebook (section 7.8 of the 2017 rulebook).
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 30th December 2017 at 18:01.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Thanks for getting back to me so soon, I didn't actually realise the power supply wasn't included but I've found one on amazon that looks suitable (12v 5A) ;
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/JnDeeTM-ADA...v+power+supply

going to add a charging lead to my buy list when they are in stock.

I'm not sure what sort of robot I'm going to build yet, I'm looking to start with something simple just to get a feel for things.

As for the Lipo-specific rules, where in my circuit should I be putting the fuse? (7.8.3)

Thanks again

Team Kaizen

I couldn't find the socket that the charger uses so I'd make sure that it was the right type before committing. Some chargers have a XT60 connector (mine does) so needs an adapter.

As for the Lipo-specific rules, where in my circuit should I be putting the fuse? (7.8.3)
    I'd put the fuse immediately after the removable link and before the speed controllers. That is what I did on The Honey Badger.

I'm not sure what sort of robot I'm going to build yet, I'm looking to start with something simple just to get a feel for things.
    Take a browse through the build diaries. They often detail what types, electronics and motors are being used in a specific class these days.
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 30th December 2017 at 19:16.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

I bought the same make of charger on Amazon also a separate PSU. There was no xt60 lead but I found the provided crocodile clips worked though and have since made an adapter.

That Imax B6 charger is the go to for every starting roboteer. Fine charger for featherweight LiPo's (and every other useable battery technology, even lead acid). But will need a powersupply. The AC version has that powersupply build in.

On firecatching LiPo's when charging. Never had that, and we did charge some very crusty LiPo's.
    But we always charge them in Balancing mode, and we checked the battery with a checker before plugging it in.
    Our current Reaktor chargers won't even start if they detect anything wrong...

Fuses. In our brushed machines -non spinners- , the IBF ESC's we use have an on board fuse. Makes life very easy.
    For the others, we incorperate the fuse in the removable link.
    And with maxi-fuse holders like these you can do fuse, link and power on LED in 1 package.

Register To Comment