Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scottie Builds ants sometimes

Hey there fellow ant enthusiasts! Today I finished building an ant weight robot for the bristol university beees robotwars (Which I may not even enter HA!) and i thought, hang on just a second, I have built several antweight robots and haven't really discussed them with anyone, let alone show them. So i figured, well I have access to a forum with a bunch of great peeps who build robots, so why not post about them here. I figure my first antweight post should be about what I will bring to bristol uni robot wars.

Introducing Brutal barbera *cough* SPINNEERRR

IMG_20171116_181940.jpg
    This robot uses:
    N20 600rpm gear motors
    180mah 7.4V battery
    2700KV DYS BLDC motor
    titanium blade

The armor is based on 3d printed nylon chassis with 1mm titanium plate reinforcement. It also has an abs top and 3d printed pla wheels with silicon tyres. those blue arms are 3d printed pla.

Sounds great. Should be a tough little sod for an ant, with that extra armour.
    What are you using for drive ESC's - I guess a Sabretooth or anything with a heat shield is too heavy?

Yeah I would'nt be able to fit a sabretooth in that bot. I am using a Dasmikro dual motor driver right now. In the future I intend to make my own.

Last weekend I went to the university of bristol beees robots wars and entered these 3 bots. From left to right, Pingu, Brutal Barbera and Sawboss mkvi.

IMG_20180310_143844.jpg

IMG_20180310_144003.jpg
    Pingu is a flipper and its specs are:

weight: 138g
    body: 3d printed pla with 2mm abs sheet and 0.75mm ploycarb on the base of the flipper wedge
    drive: 4 wheel drive with 2 wheels connected with oring pulleys
    motors: 600rpm metal gear motors
    flipper servo: Turnigy TGY-306g-hv
    electronics: 2s6a dasmikro with random dsm2 receiver
    battery: 7.4V 180mah lipo

I had some problems with this robot. Basically any receiver I connected to it would break. I used 4 or 5 receivers on this bot. Sometimes they would break immediately some after about a few minutes. Powered receivers with both 5V and the raw battery voltage (upto 8.2V i think?) I also used a lemon RX and that broke too... I'm pretty unsure why this is happening. I'm speculating that it could be something to do with the motors, possibly somthing to do with EMI. I am not using spark capacitors that are supplied by the dasmikro. They are also alot slower than the typical 600rpm motors, so i dont know what they are. Weirdly the gearboxes are identical to the normal 600rpm types.

Brutal barbera is described in the first form post in this thread.

IMG_20180310_143942.jpg

Sawboss is a walker with a rotating blade and its specs are:

weight: 178g
    body: 3d printed pla with 2mm abs sheet
    blade: 3mm thick titanium at 18g
    drive: 6 legged walker
    motors: 600rpm metal gear motors
    weapon motor: V-spec 2205 2350
    weapon motor ESC: afro 20A
    electronics: 2s6a dasmikro with random dsm2 receiver. drive motors are powered via dc-dc stepdown converter
    battery: 11.1V 180mah lipo

Sawboss is the 6th iteration of this robot. The previous iterations will enjoy a post of their own. Ill try and find some footage of it walking. The weapon motor is powered by 11.1V probably a bit to overpowered for antweight, it will drain my battery after 2 fights. But when it can get a hit it can release alot of force. During one of the last brawls at beees it managed to get entangled on one of their arena hazards.. and another robot. This put the motor into stall condition and it got rather hot, melting its body. Funnily it could still drive after being attached to a big lump of metal and a 150g bot.
    Last edited by Scottie; 12th March 2018 at 14:42.

Team Kaizen

Oooh.... looks good. Can't wait to see if there are any videos of it, the last one was pretty good. Are Pingu's motors Pololu or Solarbotics motors (not that it should matter, they are effectively the same motor)?
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Are Pingu's motors Pololu or Solarbotics motors
    Neither, they are cheap random ones from ebay. Ill end up replacing all the electronics and motors for pingu but i dont have enough motors for that bot. Ill like to use that bot in aws54 so the only way for me to get them on time is to buy pololu motors from technobotsonline.

Team Kaizen

Fair enough, they are a bit expensive from there but I am sure they'll deliver on time.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Bad Wolf
    Some lovely machines Scottie! Pingu looks great!! Shame about it not fully working! Really floats my boat though!

Bad Wolf

Alright! so I entered my current 3 bots into aws54. I completely replaced motors and electronics of pingu and i also got the body reprinted white, so now its penguin coloured!

IMG_20180316_214505.jpg

Here is me testing it

During AWS it came up against a particularly nasty egg beater drum spinner.... and lost. But it survived with most of its damage being superficial.

IMG_20180318_172138.jpg

Here is a Scuttle and weapon test of sawboss. Apologies about the camera turning i had to hide behind a shelf while I span up.

Register To Comment