Register To Comment
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottie Builds things some times. Eric the destructor - first beetleweight robot

Hey there Everybody,

I would like to introduce my bot, Eric the destructor. It is my first ever beetle weight robot and I intend to enter it in the university of west englands beetle weight competition in february. Ive only ever built a few ants and a couple of fleas, so hopefully my bot doesnt get to wrecked and goes home wearing the cone of shame!

This bot is a vertical spinner and its rudementary dimensions is 290mm width, 160mm length and 114mm height. Its approximate weight is 1.409kg minus screws, esc's or weapon belt.

Erics destructing gear:
    drive - sk3 2122-2100KV brushless motors meshed to d25 500rpm gearboxes (i forget the gear ratio)
    wheels - fingertech 63.5mm diameter
    Weapon motor - propdrive 2836 1400kv brushless
    1000mAh 11.1V lipo battery
    Various thicknesses of HDPE
    1.2mm grade 5 titanium plate

Do we have weapons?! The blade is made out of two single tooth aluminium discs. The discs are belt driven using a pully integrated between them and should weigh 279g.

Im pretty comfortable with the design with exception to the front plates. They are made out of 1.2mm titanium. Do you think that will be thick enough for beetle weight?

Team Kaizen

Hey there, looks good. The titanium front panels sound OK but I wonder if they are anchored enough to withstand a drum spinner I wonder?
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Thanks very much Ocracoke! I am tempted to attach the plates close to the blade on the other side of of the bend. Wait permitting ofcourse.

Hey there peeps, update time! I have included extra anchor points to attach the titanium plates, thanks for the suggestion Ocracoke. I have also started on the bots construction with the basic outline of all the HDPE parts have been cut.
    IMG_20171130_175927.jpg
    IMG_20171130_180052.jpg
    I have also had all the metal parts laser cut. They were cut by lasermaster and are the blade assembly with the arms that hold it, they are are all aluminium. These unfortunately do not include parts that attach all my motors to the body or the titanium front plates, these i will do by hand.
    IMG_20171127_163356.jpg
    I am pretty happy with what has been cut so far, although i haven't started to assemble them yet. The surface finish is a bit meh but it looks like i can neaten it up (the reason i am bringing that up is a surprise )
    Last edited by Scottie; 1st December 2017 at 11:27. Reason: grammar corrections

Team Kaizen

Looks neater than my attempt at building a beetleweight so far, going to have to get a crack on with mine. I seem to recall the name "Eric the Destructor" from the UWE event in February - are you building it for then?

Thanks for the Suggestion tweedermeister, it will be pretty difficult change my blade material now without fundamentally changing my design and i am waaay to far in building now, ill have some extra blades cut for when i use it and pray that i don't suffer catastrophic failure. In the future ill consider hardox for my blade.

And yes Ocracoke, it is for the UWE event. I hope to see you both there!

Good aye! Here is some december progress. I have now cut out all features into the HDPE and screwed them together. The metal arms that hold the blade have only been placed inside to see what it looks like, they are not attached to the body yet.
    IMG_20171219_202239.jpgIMG_20171219_210149.jpgIMG_20171219_210204.jpgIMG_20171219_210214.jpg

Anything that I intend to detach, namely the top and front plates, I am using m4 bolts that screw into wood screw insets. Everything else is attached with normal 4mm wood screws.
    IMG_20171219_203213.jpg
    Last edited by Scottie; 21st December 2017 at 11:10. Reason: Pressed enter to soon

Team Kaizen

Gee, it looks so neat compared to mine.

I guarantee that I feel the same way about your bot. I think yours looks pretty neat so far. Like me, you know where all the imperfections are

Register To Comment