Register To Comment
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Scottie Builds things some times. Eric the destructor - first beetleweight robot

Team Kaizen

Looks awesome, can't wait to see it do stuff in the arena! One thing that popped into my head though, was the teeth + fixtures weight accounted for on the disc's counterbalance?
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Thanks bro! hopefully it will survive atleast one round

One thing that popped into my head though, was the teeth + fixtures weight accounted for on the disc's counterbalance?
    Yes i accounted for it when in the design phase. I have recorded a full weapons test and it didnt shake itself apart. Id release the footage but I was advised by my friend, the guy who is making crabsolutely Clawful, that I was standing a bit to close while testing so I am reluctant to post it. Setting good examples and all. I'll re record tonight though.

Team Kaizen

Yeah, never be around a spinner when it is active, I would hate for a big accident to happen. Somewhere very secure and far, far away from anyone. Look forwards to the video though.

Lovely work dude!

Thank you very much Ellis. Also, here is a weapon test:

Team Kaizen

Dear lawd that sounds scary... Little bit of movement when stationary but nothing too drastic, looks good, can't wait to see what it'll do.

Yeah, hopefully it wont vibrate off somewhere random. I'm sure that it wont sound as intimidating on competition day, or at least as intimidating as some other bots there.
    Last edited by Scottie; 7th February 2018 at 10:59.

Nice work scottie. Are you planning to do a post event analysis?
    Appologies for the wait, I wanted to wait for the dust to settle and get AWS54 out of the way before I re investigated Eric.

Post event, Eric structurally intact. But there is damage to some key parts and some draw backs to my design that will make it extremely difficult to make it fighting ready in the future.

Here is a list of things that I have to address, with the foremost being the most significant to me.

Wheel motor Drive and gear box:

This is perhaps the most frustrating problem that i came up against. Basically the gears that attaches to the motorshaft of the motors that were used for the wheels kept coming off. This happened to both wheel motors. If you look back through this forum thread you will find that I used BLDC sk3 motors that were epoxyed onto 25GA 12V DC motor gearboxes. I don't think I did a good enough job of cleaning the gear and motor shaft before I epoxyed them together so that did not help me.

I know some people do something similar to this and it works well for them. However, I am not a massive fan of attaching a gear box to motor by epoxy. I really do like the idea of BLDC motors used for drive, so ill look into an alternative strategy for brushless drive

The wedge menace!:

At the beetle belt I came up against some really well designed robots! Their front wedges were made flush to the floor. Yeah i didnt do this.. I Bent some titanium plates for my front armor, which resulted in quite a gap that others could quite easily get under. My blade was also bit high up, so it offered little defense against those arena peeling robots. Next time No bending of armor plating!

Weapon drive pulley mechanism:

I used a timing belt to transmit mechanical power from motor to weapon so they were essentially coupled. The pulley connected to the motor was only attached to the motor shaft an had no other support. So any strike from my blade would produce an opposite for that would travel back to my motor, which bent my motor shaft... I had a replacement motor but the same thing happened to the other. I think next time ill use oring pulleys so that i have some slip between motor and weapon and perhaps support the motor pulley on a shaft that has support on both sides.

My weapon must have been made out of something weak like paper mache... or Radditz (tfs quotes!!):

I suppose that it might surprise some people that this was my least biggest gripe with my robot. But i did account for the softness of my aluminium blades by having 2 spare sets. Had to replace them after a fight, which was a bit annoying, but this wasn't what ended combat for me in the event. Making titanium teeth did not help as the blades bent behind them and by making the teeth by hand made the blades unbalanced. So begrudgingly i would have to make them out of steel, titanium might probably be to expensive for me..

I would say anodising them purple would be enough to counter all my woes but due to my anodising method I could not seal the dye into the surface. So any solvent or oil would take the purple dye off. I also disliked anodsing with ammonium bisulfate in my living room so i doubt ill do it again..

My thoughts and closing remarks:

Naturally I would like a robot that could drive without gearboxes breaking, not get wedged to death and have a durable weapon system. Also, I really like the duel blades and BLDC drive. But If I wanted to do all those things then I would have to considerably alter Eric, perhaps to the point where it wouldn't be the same robot anymore. So with that in mind I think I am in the unhappy position of sending Eric the destructor onto the lonely path..

Register To Comment