Register To Comment

Thread: Team Kaizen - Kaizen

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Team Kaizen

So I've had time to examine and start mending the damage to Kaizen and the long and short of it is that the drivetrain needs overhauling. Gimsons, as a complete package, are lovely but the wheel hubs are too soft and the three I have tried to get off I can't. I assume the 4th one is the same.

To make matters more complicated, the front right motor seized up and that caused the rear right motor to overdraw and now when it spins up, it explodes into a shower of sparks and smoke. I think that had the front motor not done this (bearing in mind, the front motors are from The Honey Badger 2.x and 3.x) and the hubs were made of steel, not aluminium alloy and the motor had a hole for a roll pin rather than a grub screw, this wouldn't have happened. Lesson learned.

So if I can't get the hubs off without mangling the shafts, I am planning on building a single stage gearbox for each corner with a set of brushless inrunners (something like this: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...-inrunner.html) with a 4.08:1 reduction. I would prefer to have some outrunners if I can find ones that are < 50mm high and can cope with 8S LiPo but I can only find 6S. Then again, it is independent 4WD so... that might work. If needed, I can try for a two stage box.

EDIT: Yeah... with that reduction and that motor specifically, its still > 10,000 RPM as a output drive. With that motor, a two stage is needed.

Long and short of it is that I don't think it'll be ready in time for Chelentham so it may have to wait until the start of the 2019 season, showing up at wherever EXR has the April event.
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 1st October 2018 at 18:50.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Register To Comment