Register To Comment
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Team Kaizen - Kaizen

Team Kaizen

Status
    Name
    Michael
    Robots
    AW: Osu, Ikari, Ramu / BW: Shu! / FW: The Honey Badger / MW: Kaizen (Building)
    No, I've little engineering experience myself so still learning what things are and what they are used for. Looking at an example, I can see that working though. The flange is threaded to fit onto a M12 shaft.
    Team Kaizen

AW: Osu, Ikari, Ramu
    BW: Shu! (Build Thread)
    FW: The Honey Badger (Build Thread)
    MW: Kaizen (Build Thread)

Ok, so motor shaft is M12 thread also and screws into flanged shaft? if that is the case then have the end of the flanged shaft castellated like on the end of a car wheel shaft. make sure the castellations are deep enough so as not to cover any of the motor shaft hole. You can then screw the flanged unit onto the motor shaft get it tightly home and press ? gently knock the roll pin through the castellations and motor shaft. this will stop the flanged unit from unscrewing. If you want belt and braces a little loctite doesn't hurt. If unsure google castellated nuts.

Team Kaizen

Status
    Name
    Michael
    Robots
    So a bit of a sea change. I really did need the time off from building this thing, just having The Honey Badger and Shu! plus all the ants and BotFest has really taken it out of me. I came back to it just before BotFest and decided to stop making this and start again. I wasn't happy with the overall build quality of the thing and having seen Voodoo's bodywork, it would have been a lumbering mess by comparison.

So this time around, taking a little inspiration from the likes of Griffon, I've made the robot shorter in all directions and gone for polycarbonate panels this time, likely make 12mm thick on the top and 10mm at the bottom (recycled from the original attempt). 4mm thick steel box section make up the "chassis" of the thing and will likely not paint it in an attempt to make look junkyard chic. :P The main body, discounting the wheels, is 66mm tall. Same sort of build methodology, massive bolts will hold the top and bottom panels together through the box section for compression fitting.

Been making new motor mounts and learning lessons from The Honey Badger 3.0, these are far stronger. Two are done (save for a bit of trimming) and two are on the way. I've also recycled the axe from The Honey Badger 2.2 as that never saw any action in Manchester. I've weighted the head a bit more and will reinforce it with stuff from the original attempt at Kaizen soon enough. I have a CIM motor around so what I'll do is make some side panels for the wheels for protection and then use the left over from that to make an external axe mount to sit on top of the robot.

DSCF6597.JPG
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 9th August 2018 at 13:48.
    Team Kaizen

Roboteer

Status
    Name
    Theo
    Robots
    Oberon - FW, Titania - AW, Voodoo - MW (under construction), Project 2 - MW (under construction)
    I'm actually really jealous of how that looks, absolutely love that compact rectangular shape, and it looks nice and simple to make, what with the box-section and polycarb sheets.

Team Kaizen

Status
    Name
    Michael
    Robots
    It is deliberately simply to build, got one and a bit months to go until Chatham :P I'll be working on the other 2 motor mounts and securing them to the chassis panel. Who knows, I might even have it running by the end of the week.
    Team Kaizen

Roboteer

Status
    Name
    Theo
    Robots
    Oberon - FW, Titania - AW, Voodoo - MW (under construction), Project 2 - MW (under construction)
    Oh don't remind me. Still have quite a lot to do, mainly sorting out these pesky wheels. The nyloc wasn't put far on enough, so the wheel slips forwards and backwards out of its key. Sadly the nut has rusted onto the shaft now so any more force trying to free it will mangle the gearbox. Plus just lots of testing to get done - I've never had a robot that drives in one direction without veering violently to one side, it's all a learning curve!

Register To Comment