Register To Comment
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Kaizen - Kaizen

Triceratop
    How about cutting the length of the hub shaft down so the hole matches the motor shaft location point?

Team Kaizen

If the flange was going to sit the way it was in the previous post, I'd possibly agree but the flange is the wrong way around, it needs to be in this orientation, which the holes in the flange already no longer reach the shaft.

DSCF6535.JPGDSCF6536.JPG
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Triceratop
    Ok, what about drilling another hole 90 degree to original but in the correct position for the motor shaft? In other words further towards the flange? If you don't have the facility to do this, any machine shop will pop a hole through for you, just need size and location. You may know someone who has a pedestal drill, in which they would be able to do this for you again as long as the location and size is known.

Team Kaizen

Yeah, that was what I suspected I may have to do. I have a pillar drill attachment but not a clamp that fits so I'll see if I can find someone with a facility to this. Thanks

Triceratop
    How are you anticipating to fasten the hub to the motor shaft. Looking at the pics the hole in the motor shaft is blind. Are you going to take it through the shaft or going to thread the hub shaft?

Team Kaizen

I'll drop a M5 bolt through the shaft, possibly grind a small flat onto the motor shaft and then stick a nyloc nut+washer on it if it works.

Triceratop
    Are you going to Leeds (Robodojo)? if so bring the parts with you, we can have a look then. Not sure what you are proposing, but need to keep it simple - why grind flat on motor shaft? are you putting bolt through flanged hub shaft and motor shaft then bolting through?
    Sorry for all the questions...

Is the flanged hub aluminium? If so, you could see if someone would make you one from steel (if you were able to do a basic drawing) then secure it with a couple of decent spot welds to the shaft.

I did a similar thing on a slightly larger scale for using some big wheels on wheelchair motors with quite a stubby shaft. The tubular part was a threaded connection from eBay and the circular discs I drew up in CAD, glued a print out onto a sheet of metal then cut and shaped it with a grinder, and drilled it. I then welded it to the wheelchair motor shaft and it's solid. Just need to make sure the body has a suitable cutout for removing the motor with hub attached (looks like yours does)

DSC_2396.jpg

DSC_2402.jpg

DSC_2403.jpg

Team Kaizen

Are you going to Leeds (Robodojo)? if so bring the parts with you, we can have a look then.
    Unfortunately not, I had planned to go but then other commitments popped up which I cannot avoid.

Not sure what you are proposing, but need to keep it simple - why grind flat on motor shaft? are you putting bolt through flanged hub shaft and motor shaft then bolting through?
    A mistake on my part, I meant on the flange shaft so the nut can seat properly against it. Yes, bolting through.

Is the flanged hub aluminium? If so, you could see if someone would make you one from steel (if you were able to do a basic drawing) then secure it with a couple of decent spot welds to the shaft.
    The flange is steel. The side panel where the motor pokes through is indeed unboltable and the hole is bigger than the flange so I could get it welded. Probably the quickest solution.

Triceratop
    Hi Michael, have you thought about using roll pins. Welding is quite permanent and not easily removed if need to change anything. Forgot to ask, is the flanged coupling threaded to screw onto motor shaft?

Register To Comment