Register To Comment
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Kaizen - Kaizen

Team Kaizen

So getting the nuts off proved to be less of a challenge than I thought. Ultimately, it just required heavier grade tools. The ends are in threadlock. not nyloc as feared.

DSCF6378.JPG

I then invested in a jigsaw and cut out the HDPE internal structure panels. Can I cut in a straight line? Not really but its all in hand - I cut out a 10mm deep groove into the panels to allow the 10mm polycarbonate base to sit under and what I'll do is with some L brackets on both sides, clamp the panels onto the base. I'll need to do the same with the outer panels.

I also found some lawnmower wheels to put on the motor shafts (which is 10mm threaded wide) but to be honest, these will not last in the arena. I've found some replacements which again need boring out to 10mm wide completlely and then figure out a way to clamp it properly to the shaft but these wheels will do for simple mobility testing. Definitely needs some bicycle tyre treads on them.

Mock mounted the internal panels and the motors onto the panels for a sense of perspective tonight. Definitely looks more "robot" shaped these days. :P Next thing to do is cut the outer panels and get them clamped to the base panel. It currently weighs 21.3kg all in so far but obviously, there is a way to go yet. The steel will hopefully tip it into the right weight bracket.

DSCF6394.JPG
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 7th May 2018 at 01:01.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Team Kaizen

So the wheel conundrum is solved, I think. I've ordered some 146mm sack barrow wheels but they have a 8mm bore on them, which I'll bore to 10mm. What I'll do then is melt the original motor nuts into the bore, glue that in, refit the nut back into the shaft with some threadlock. I'll also then get a plate of HDPE and bolt it through the wheel to act as a nut plate which hopefully will keep the wheel on the shaft.

Does that work/robust enough for robots of the Heavyweight category... or the Middleweight category?

Quote Originally Posted by Ocracoke View Post
    ... or the Middleweight category?
    Probably my fault
    Putting together a little revival later on in the year, trying to keep it under wraps though (and so y'all don't talk too much sense).

Really interesting to see, I'm really glad you're on board!

Team Kaizen

Hahahaa, no worries. Now if only these wheels turned up, I might be able to crack on and have something moving. I have got the centre bulkheads tied together so I can mark and drill the centre brackets holes this weekend so the centre structure can be fitted. If the weather is up to scratch or I am feeling motivated enough to do it indoors, cut the outer panels to fit and get them fitted as well.

Once that is done, then it is onto the outer shell and then the weapon.

Sack barrow wheels usually have quite thin metal stubs either side of the wheel
    but some have a bearing inside and I assume that's the type your getting.
    In which case you would have to remove the bearing and hold it securely
    to avoid the whole thing spinning when boring it out.
    They are quite robust though and I would use them in a heavy no problem.
    Last edited by team death; 12th May 2018 at 09:46.

Team Kaizen

The ones I have (which arrived today) don't have any bearings in them or any metal so that won't be an issue, just really a case of getting the bore enlarged and then these nuts fitted into place.

Team Kaizen

Whilst I sort out the final wheels for Kaizen, I've been working getting the main structure done and have made some headway today, bolting down the motors more inboard so the gearboxes are less of a target and getting the central bulkhead panels in place. After doing that, did a quick wire up and test to make sure the motors were OK. Annoyingly, the test wheels, despite being padded out, don't quite reach the ground just yet but I can spend a bit of time tomorrow getting those to the ground so with any luck, tomorrow it should be moving.

A small "whoops", when the motors moved inboard and the bracket holes marked, I forgot the speed controller was quite big so it doesn't fit anywhere but the gap for the weapon. That shouldn't be too much of an issue though, a panel of HDPE over the top in the centre should fix that. The weapon motor is going to be mounted fairly high as a result but it does mean more swing on it.

Not sure what the weight is at the moment but with all the brackets to get the internal panels supported and all the roofing bolts holding them together, I suspect it is in the 20kg range. After the test drive, next thing to do is cut and mount the outer panels, secure the electronics and then mount the outer panelling. This should be achievable before RL Herne Bay or Grantham.

DSCF6402.JPG

Team Kaizen

With working on the antweights, organising a AW event and The Honey Badger 3, Kaizen has been taking a bit of a back seat but with the nice weather, I've been busy with the outer edge panels this evening. Tried moving it on the test wheels and for one brief glorious nanosecond, it worked followed by the wheels twisting off. I've got some M10 nyloc nuts on order that should be with me a few days so the proper wheels can go on.

Outer panels are now made, had several scary moments with the holesaw binding up in the HDPE followed by it snatching away - not fun. However, got the shape cut out, mounted the panels and now it is beginning to look properly serious. Wheels and shell are the next thing and then boom, rolling Middleweight. Definitely seriously sized, clocking in at about 650mm wide by 250mm long by 250mm tall.

DSCF6427.JPG

Couple of little things at the moment, I am regretting having to build this upstairs, it is getting heavy (mid 20kg possibly, not weighted it since last post) I'll need to fit some bracing inbetween the panels to prevent the polycarbonate base from flexing, it is going to snap if it carries on like this :S

If the wheels can be attached by the end of this week and Kaizen rolling, I see no reason why it couldn't make RL Grantham.

Looking fantastic, I really can't wait to see it in the arena at Grantham

Team Kaizen

Many thanks! I can't wait to see it running properly myself either