Register To Comment
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Team Deathly - first trainer bot

OK took the advice and opened a thread to post info on my first bot

This bot is not intended to be kept or battled though it may evolve in that direction. I want to build a rolling powered chassis first. Cutting the project into chunks makes it more manageable and will give me a sense of achievement - that's the idea anyway.

So my 'bible' for this initial build is the Haynes Manual for Robot Wars - should keep me on the right track and avoid asking too many dumb questions on the forum.

Parts:
    If you read my blog I bought a very cheap FlySky i6 Transmitter and matched receiver for £32 from Amazon Warehouse returned stock. I also bought a 20 pack of ultra T-Plug connectors M-F for £5.29 from there too.
    I ordered the critical part a Sabertooth 2x12A R/C dual ESC from Robotshop but its in transit unfortunately
    For drives I purchased 2x the Argos Simply 14.4V cordless drills at £26
    I think I have a small sheet of aluminium lying around that may do for a floor or I may use wood for this test
    Also I have a part roll of mains cable I can strip for red and black wire if needed.

Need to buy a soldering iron. Thinking of a Maplin own 100W seems good value

Once the ESC arrives I will get going and see how easy it comes together

Team Kaizen

Glad to see you are underway.

What sort of battery are you planning to put in this? You may find that if you go for LiPos or similar, the power output from them might cook the speed controller under moderate/heavy load if you are going for the Featherweight class. Beetleweight might be more suited for that type of speed controller.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

I was about to ask if you had a link for your blog, but then noticed it's on here. Of all the years I've been on this forum, I didn't realise it had a blog function!
    And I've just made the connection between your team name and surname, but only after seeing the symbol next to your blog posts. And I call myself a Harry Potter fan

I really had no choice when it came to the team name. JKR has a lot to answer for. Also if she used my surname without my permission I can use the symbol.
    Oh and thanks I never realised the Avatar and the Team graphic were different - updated it now.

Regarding the batteries, according to the Haynes guide I can re-purpose the drill batteries or one of them. Meaning I have a spare on charge at any moment. They don't give brands in the parts list but it was easy to determine what was used from the photos.
    Last edited by Deathly Hallows; 4th November 2017 at 00:07.

Early morning bargain! I was in Lidl intending to buy some bacon, eggs and OJ for breakfast and walked out with a Digital Soldering Iron. Its not powerful 48W, but has temperature control, a stand, multiple tips, sponge and a couple of tiny spools of solder for £17. They also had a drill stand with vice that looked a bargain too, cheaper than buying a bench drill if anyone is interested. Different pliers too, needle nose etc. Wife said it must be "robot wars week"

Question - When people say spinners are not allowed in many competitions, I am interested to know what exactly is classified as a spinner? Is it any rotating weapon or is the weapon mass a part of the assessment to determine if it is a spinner?
    As I was wondering about a chainsaw or circular saw weapons but if they can#t be used at many events that's a bit pointless.

Team Kaizen

This is something that you'll need to ask on a case by case basis with the event organisers. The first ever event I went to with The Honey Badger 1.0, the horizontal spinning bar/flail weapon (which I really should have clarified with them beforehand) was queried. I did eventually get permission to run it at half power only, not that it made that much of a difference. :P

The reason for this is because Robots Live!'s arena has got a mesh type roof and wooden flooring which, if a spinner made a good hit, would simply not have contained. Extreme Robots also have restrictions but they do have a steel floor and polycarbonate roofing. Robochallenge have a similar setup to Extreme Robots but smaller I think.

The rules does have it's own section on spinners and what is excluded under section 11 but always, you need to ask the event organisers in advance before turning up to the event as to wherever your weaponry is allowed or not if in doubt or not.

Thanks the Arena info was helpful. Section 11 I had read and compliance to two of the three would be OK as both ideas would pass the 20% rule. Not kinetic mass type spinner, (essentially it's about big impacts) but a cutting shredding weapon. Which I realise brings many challenges but, I just like the idea. I think it could work in lower classes where more plastic and aluminium.

With luck my esc arrives today. Bit worried about size, after comments on here. But it's definitely the right model shown in the Haynes Manual. If I blow it then I am going to be in trouble, with Christmas coming up going to hard to afford replacement parts.

Team Kaizen

Which I realise brings many challenges but, I just like the idea. I think it could work in lower classes where more plastic and aluminium.
    Note to self, add more armour :P

Bit worried about size, after comments on here. But it's definitely the right model shown in the Haynes Manual.
    If the drill batteries being used are NiCDs or NiMH (are you aware of what type they are?), then they'll be OK for the 12A ESC (my original attempt with The Honey Badger 1.0 basically took a pair of dismantled drills, mounted them on a garden planer with sellotape and wire it all together... worked well until I drove it into a glass picture frame :S).

The concern was that if it was using Lithium batteries, the amperage coming out of them would likely cook the speed controller. I spent a age trying to find a LiFePO4 battery that would go with my Sabretooth 5A dual ESC for my Beetleweight/Antweight because the C rating of the battery x the amphours quoted often meant I was over the top of the peak that the ESC could handle.

The battery on the drill is a Lithium Ion rated 14.4v 1.3Ah 18.72Wh and weighing 284g
    They're the ones from the Argos 14.4V simple Drill

My ESC will arrive today. Getting these wheels from Screwfix tomorrow. Hopefully have a powered rolling chassis no later than mid week if nothing goes wrong. <fingers crossed>

Register To Comment