Register To Comment

Thread: Coyote style clamper

I think Jamie's the best to comment on this, but from what I know, most actuators already come with their own motor, or (if you're feeling adventurous) you can do what Rory did and use a brushless motor instead but that also involves limit switches and some programming but again i'm not really the person you should be asking. Most people just use the motor with it as it's simpler, easier and cheaper.

I'm not too sure about separate links for weapons but to my knowledge, they don't need a separate link, best to double check the rules.

You can just run the actuators off the main batteries in most cases. They usually have similar ratings to drive motors and don't need a separate ridiculously high power battery like spinners.

Jamie used modified Turningy/Botbitz TZ85s on his actuators and seemed to do the job right. Actuators mostly run at a higher gear ratio, so beefy ESCs aren't usually necessary (don't quote me on that though).

Clampers or 'controlbots' are currently quite popular and Mentorn are quite eager to let them qualify for robot wars, Good luck.

Redirect Left
    hydraulics is the best, as they're good at maintaining the amount of pressure given and not losing it, allowing your target to just roll out.

We didn't use a seperate link on Coyote, all all runs from the same one. The only reason you would need one is if you were using 2 different voltages for the weapon and drive, or you could put one in there for a bit of extra safety if you want. We used a big 8Ah Optipower flight pack. It has used all sorts for jaw control, but it would depend on your current draw from the LinAcs.

The actuators were as they came, much easier that way but a brushless mod could be done but as the above comments have said that adds a whole new level of complexity, they were fairly quick though as it was and they were never really meant to crush anything, it was for control.

Hydraulics would add a whole new level of complexity to the design compared to LinAcs but it would have more force generally speaking. It's definitely possible to do it without, something like Little Nipper doesn't use hydraulics which is in the middle design wise between KO and Draven.

If I was to go back and do things again, I'd look at either pneumatics or geared motors and chain/sprocket transmissions. Linear actuators are nice and compact and can be relatively cheap. However, the speed at which today's robots move means that battles are very high-paced, and even 'fast' linear actuators (Coyote's were quite nippy) can be too slow to be effective. Pneumatics and geared motors can be specced to operate much more quickly allowing for a more effective weapon.

Hydraulics are good for getting a grip, but for clamp control style robots, they're a bit unnecessary as you will usually get enough gripping force out of the other options. You do need a decent amount of grip, but not really enough to warrant using hydraulics, unless you want to try and cause crushing damage too.

If you do opt for linear actuators, it's probably best for reliability and simplicity to use the motors that come with the actuators (they're usually integrated into the actuator anyway). I've dabbled in motor replacement for the Coyote actuators but that's more to do with extending their life cycle after sustaining battle damage than to eke more power or speed out of them.

Register To Comment