Register To Comment
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: 4WD Front Hinge Flipper - Featherweight

Quote Originally Posted by Shooty View Post
    https://www.robotshop.com/eu/en/4-st...ore-black.html

Here is where I bought them from. Just get a 3/8 tap and you can screw them on to the drill gearboxes. Be warned though, you need to be careful when tightening them on, and securing them in place with the reverse threaded bolt: too loose and the wheel will come lose and strip, too tight and the wheel will crack.
    sorry got you and Michael mixed up (SOMEHOW) but still good to know where you got them from

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Yes ground clearance is a slight concern - it's meant to be about 4.5mm around the back and sides, now the wheels have worn in it's actually about 4mm. I could easily make it 5mm by mounting the motors a bit lower. Anyone know if that's enough for the robo challenge arena?

It was a bit difficult to gauge it for this build since Venator's ground clearance was a bit weird - again about 4 - 5 round the back, but almost a 1cm around the basplate and something in between for the sides.

Having said that, I doubt my ancient garden patio is particularly flat - probably not that different to the robo challenge arena. I'm not sure if I will run Strix at Extreme Robots events - was thinking of saving Venator for that.
    Last edited by dotDominic; 1st May 2018 at 14:12.

With Strix's wedge attached, it's update time again, and I've had another test with Venator as target practice!

IMG_4438.jpg

Going into this test drive I was a bit worried about the steepness of the wedge as that could make or break a front hinge flipper. Thankfully the wedge works brilliantly and the angle is low enough that Venator slides right to the top when I'm at high throttle. Also Strix is still fast and nimble despite all the extra weight added since the last test. Clearly I still need some driving practice - also some video filming practice too!

I also took heed of your warnings and increased the ground clearance. Unfortunately I can't really add much extra tyre to the wheels due to a lack of space and the wedge already being cut. So instead I've made the baseplate 8mm HDPE thick rather than 10mm. So now I should be sitting around 6.5mm of clearance. 8mm is probably the thinnest HDPE base I can get away with I think it should hold up OK.

But now for a bit of bad news - the "Super Actuator" is unfortunately on hold for the time being. After countless failed attempts, I've had to accept that making this with a cheap pillar drill and hand tools will be very difficult. I just don't have access to the precision that I need. However, I'm glad I tried and I've not given up completely, but for the time being I'm going to fall back on modifying a stock linac with a brushless motor. If I have time before the champs I will definitely try the "Super Actuator" again, as I still want it ready for that.
    Last edited by dotDominic; 14th June 2018 at 23:57.

Team Kaizen

Neat, looking forwards to seeing this soon!

Might be worth adding some small hooks at the top of the flipper to prevent opponents from sliding over the top?
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 15th June 2018 at 00:15.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Quote Originally Posted by dotDominic View Post
    With Strix's wedge attached, it's update time again, and I've had another test with Venator as target practice!

Going into this test drive I was a bit worried about the steepness of the wedge as that could make or break a front hinge flipper. Thankfully the wedge works brilliantly and the angle is low enough that Venator slides right to the top when I'm at high throttle. Also Strix is still fast and nimble despite all the extra weight added since the last test. Clearly I still need some driving practice - also some video filming practice too!

I also took heed of your warnings and increased the ground clearance. Unfortunately I can't really add much extra tyre to the wheels due to a lack of space and the wedge already being cut. So instead I've made the baseplate 8mm HDPE thick rather than 10mm. So now I should be sitting around 6.5mm of clearance. 8mm is probably the thinnest HDPE base I can get away with I think it should hold up OK.

But now for a bit of bad news - the "Super Actuator" is unfortunately on hold for the time being. After countless failed attempts, I've had to accept that making this with a cheap pillar drill and hand tools will be very difficult. I just don't have access to the precision that I need. However, I'm glad I tried and I've not given up completely, but for the time being I'm going to fall back on modifying a stock linac with a brushless motor. If I have time before the champs I will definitely try the "Super Actuator" again, as I still want it ready for that.
    ask about on Facebook see if anyone will help you manufacturer the precision parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocracoke View Post
    Neat, looking forwards to seeing this soon!

Might be worth adding some small hooks at the top of the flipper to prevent opponents from sliding over the top?
    hmm i would agree if it was a straight ramming wedge but with the flipper i wouldn't.

Team Kaizen

hmm i would agree if it was a straight ramming wedge but with the flipper i wouldn't.
    I'd argue for a front hinged flipper that it would be worthwhile since the best effect with a flipper is when the opponent is at the end of the arm opposite to the hinge. Since in the case of a front hinged flipper, the opponent has to be somewhat wholly on the arm for it to work effectively, I'd think something to stop them flying off the other end of the arm would be worthwhile as an experiment at any rate.

that is a fair point, maybe a stop of but no hooks as they may also hook you opponent keeping them on the flipper

Team Kaizen

That'd work, just something to provide a extra half a second or something of the opponent being in the right place.
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 15th June 2018 at 13:00.

Thanks! Yes I might put added stoppers on the top of the flipper. As I said I didn’t really know how well the wedge would work - during this drive I never actually had Venator go right up over the top. I’m not sure how self-righting will go so I may end up putting something extra on for that and take out two birds with one stone.

The problem is that I’ve now realised the “precision parts” are like 80% of the linac. I will still go ahead with this other option as I would like a backup plan in case this doesn’t work out. But thanks, I might have an ask about and see if anyone is willing to help out. Feel a bit bad just dumping this on someone else tho.

If you haven't got the tools ask someone else. Pay shipping, materials and offer payment for there time. How I got 2 custom shafts made

Register To Comment