Register To Comment
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 4WD Front Hinge Flipper - Featherweight

Since I am trying to update this semi-regularly, here is a post for this month!

Been quite busy recently so proper building for the Super Actuator only began about 2 weeks ago. I have tweaked the cad a little, but it's slowly becoming a real thing:

IMG_4281.jpg IMG_4283.jpg

At this point I have cut everything I can with my tools, except some thin teflon which I will use to reduce friction between the rod and barrel. Next up is the tricky part - drilling the holes so the gears mesh properly and so that this will fit together. Then I will mail it down to a friend who has kindly offered to help with milling/lathing.

Still a bit cautious that this thing won't work and could break itself, but so far all is going to plan!

At a pretty decent point now for an update. All the plastic panels are cut except for the rear, as it needs to be heated and bent around the shape of the back of the robot. Nothing has been bolted together yet, and there are no electronics, but it's finally starting to look like a robot now!

IMG_4382[1].jpg IMG_4383[1].jpg

Next up is drilling holes in the Super Actuator - the plan is to have that finished by the end of the week.

Strix lives! Turns out I needed an extra few bits and pieces before finishing off the actuator, so while I was waiting on that to arrive I got the chassis up and running!

Very happy with how it drives so far - pretty smooth and quick. Although its about 6kg lighter than its meant to be, so the real test will come later. Electronics are also bit messy at the moment as I just pinched them out of Venator. But so far so good - now I just need to learn how to control the thing!

On an unrelated note, I seem to have lost the ability to Like/Thank For posts, even though I'm still a member. Is anyone else having this problem?
    Last edited by dotDominic; 30th April 2018 at 14:33.

looking great, how is the super actuator coming along ?

It's getting there! The main hold up was replacing my terrible old vice with a new one, and finding a drill bit of the right size to make the gearbox. But those are sorted out now, so the actuator is the next priority.

Looks amazing! Can't wait to see it flip!

Team Kaizen

That does look like the business, well done!
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

That's some fine looking progress you've made there! Your ground clearance seems very low though, are you worried about becoming beached at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Shooty View Post
    That's some fine looking progress you've made there! Your ground clearance seems very low though, are you worried about becoming beached at all?

that is a good point but looking at the images he might have enough room to add some bike tyre to add some ground clearance if needed.

side note where did you get those tires you gave me at manchester ? want to know incase i need to order more

Quote Originally Posted by Maxamuslead View Post
    side note where did you get those tires you gave me at manchester ? want to know incase i need to order more
    https://www.robotshop.com/eu/en/4-st...ore-black.html

Here is where I bought them from. Just get a 3/8 tap and you can screw them on to the drill gearboxes. Be warned though, you need to be careful when tightening them on, and securing them in place with the reverse threaded bolt: too loose and the wheel will come lose and strip, too tight and the wheel will crack.

Register To Comment