Register To Comment
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 4WD Front Hinge Flipper - Featherweight

Team Kaizen

It's a bit of a tight squeeze but from tip to tip the robot is 46cm wide and 40cm long so it's already on the larger side.
    The Honey Badger is 56cm long x 37cm wide so I wouldn't worry too much about the size.

I'd probably stick with the actuator for moving the flipper as that means two points to distribute the weight of the opponent, though at this weight class it probably doesn't matter too much.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

You been getting ideas from Amnesia? Looking forward to seeing how this comes out, looks very nice!

So a slight change of plan with regards to the actuator setup. The actuator will be a 12v Gimson GLA200. Also thinking now I'd be better off running the weapon on a small 5s and could try using one of these motors in the actuator: https://www.overlander.co.uk/motors/...-rc-motor.html
    Does anyone have any thoughts on running a motor with these specs? From my understanding of brushless motors, a lower KV rating usually means higher torque but less speed. From what I can tell, this one (1500kv) seems to be fairly torque-y but not super slow?

Haha thanks Adam - I guess it looks a little bit like Aegis and Amnesia were thrown together into a blender or something.

Looks good to me. KV is about 300 higher than Aegis' motor, and power is more than double, so maybe half-expect to strip a gear or something? Just be very careful if you test it before you've added limit switches, especially if the nut on the acme screw is made of plastic - the first one I tried went too far and basically cut a new thread into the nut and completely ruined it. Although I did take a stage of gearing out to mount the motor, so you might be ok if you can do it without that. Interested to see how you get on.

Cool, thanks for the tips. I'll order the parts and try out this setup, then . I tried to use the specs of your Leopard motor as a point of comparison to see if I could get the actuator a bit faster without loosing too much torque and hopefully not wrecking the gearing. Worth a shot anyway - fingers crossed!

Updates to be made! Just got back from the Gloucester event - brought along V1 again which I used to test out several of the parts and design tweaks I'll be using in the new build. For 6 fights of the event I ran the machine on the two small 4 Cell 15.2V LiHV packs in parallel, and the 12v argos drills handled it with no problems at all. I think the machine was a bit faster and more powerful - it's quite hard to tell the difference when the arena is so big and I'm only upping the voltage a little bit. The new front wedge was also low enough to get under Explosion and Heatwave once or twice - the old one was hopeless and I would always lose wedge vs wedge contests. Was still a bit too steep to reliably get under robots easily, and it still seems to lose all most of its traction when upside down, but overall the robot was the best it's ever been, so things are looking up for this new build!

A few changes to the flipper setup - Will still try the 1500kv Outlander motor, but I've changed the actuator for a HIWIN 18v one as on ebay they were half the price of the gimson 12v actuators and seem more robust, whilst being roughly the same weight, speed and also having very similar dimensions. (I think it's the same model as Aegis?)

Also some tweaks to the CAD to cut down weight in some areas and beef up the armour in others. Flipper panel + hinge mounts are one piece of bent hardox and there is now a small sloped 15-10 mm HDPE lid. Wedge and flipper are now 4mm hardox, sides are 20mm HDPE, and the rear is 15mm. Side panels are now also bolted to the inner bulkheads at the front as well, rather than just the middle. Great suggestions with the polycarb, but I think I'll be keeping the wheels exposed or else the robot will look quite similar to the new Rapid/Astro.

Strix CAD Ver 3.png

Had a quick ask around at Gloucester what people thought of potential robot names. At the moment I think Strix has quite a good ring - it's a vicious bird from classical mythology that was a sign of bad omens.
    Last edited by dotDominic; 11th January 2018 at 05:57.

Quote Originally Posted by dotDominic View Post
    Strix has quite a good ring - it's a vicious bird from classical mythology that was a sign of bad omens.
    Bad Omens to whom =P If you do call it Strix, Stick a owl on it.

Haha, providing all goes well it will hopefully be a bad omen for the other bots I fight! I do plan to use some sort of bird graphics but could always take that a step further!

So a quick post as I haven't updated this in a while:

The Hardox flipper and wedge arrived today and seem really hefty - I was a bit cautious about my weight calculations but they've turned out pretty much spot on here so that's a huge relief.

IMG_4105.jpg

Also mounted the brushless motor to the actuator and flashed the ESC so it will run in both directions. (Big thanks to Rory for the guide in his build diary) The weapon system should be up and running soon, once a few more bits and pieces arrive in the mail.

Progress has been a bit slow the past few months, but I'm hoping to kick things into high gear now I have these Hardox parts.

Is that Hardox all folded ? if you don't me asking but how much did that set you back ?

Register To Comment