Register To Comment
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Triforce 3 - Build Progress Thread

progress looks really nice, hows the weight looking so far?

Can't wait to see it in an arena! Who did your hardox?

Quote Originally Posted by Roboteernat View Post
    progress looks really nice, hows the weight looking so far?
    It should be about 100kg and 10kg left over for wiring, bolts, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by emisnug View Post
    Can't wait to see it in an arena! Who did your hardox?
    Kcut like always lol

Quote Originally Posted by daveimi View Post
    I'm worried about the amount of meat on the bearing carrier for the ring drive pinion
    Although the gear looks insane and is rated at >500Nm, it will only ever see 50Nm maximum so the force is reasonably low (800N). The part is only going to take loads inline with its axis and its 4mm hardox 500 so it should be plenty strong. We are more likely to rip the rubber shock mounts than damage the bearing carrier.

However I would agree that the top bearings for the motors are way too small. I am already planning to beef those up a lot.

Which particular bit are you most worried about?

How are you protecting the main weapon gear from vertical shearing? A upwards hit on one of the teeth must put a load of shock through the robot, might misalign the gear teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by emisnug View Post
    How are you protecting the main weapon gear from vertical shearing? A upwards hit on one of the teeth must put a load of shock through the robot, might misalign the gear teeth.
    I wouldn't expect any vertical load on the weapon gears, the ring is constrained in the vertical axis quite well and there is a decent amount of slop between the gears. Its one reason to not use any fancy gears and go with a spur gear. It gives you the ability to have the ring move around quite a lot and keep meshing correctly.

Not sure how that would cause any vertical shearing?

As for the shock side of things, the ring is mounted on skateboard wheels which will absorb the majority of the impact and the weapon drive unit is mounted on a bunch of rubber mounts to protect the motors. This might give enough play for the gear to jump a tooth on the ring. Although it would have to move a good 6-8mm to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by daveimi View Post
    Just want to say it's a beautiful piece of engineering and so much better than I could draw in CAD. The bit I would add material too is where I mentioned, so where as the bearing sits in a "hump" that protrudes from the component, I would be tempted to make that one solid piece to help with the lateral loads.
    I see what you mean now. Yeah I do agree there isn't that much there, I was actually thinking of adding another bunch of shock mounts to constrain that plate a bit better. Since I am worried about shearing the existing ones on a large impact.

Register To Comment