Register To Comment
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bolts - The Scrappers

Quote Originally Posted by lowndsy View Post
    That looks like Flat Damon! It even has the same wheels - How did they stand up?
    We didn't gave much traction, but that's because we were too front heavy. Other than that they were fine. Oddbot punching a hole through one of them had no effect on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidrory View Post
    Misaligned wheels on my flail bots has been purely to get the wheels closer together for more spin speed.
    Considering we're using the 12V Argos motors, we need every advantage we can get, and increased spin speed is definitely an advantage. Thanks Rory.

Finally got some time to work on building the new Bolts this past weekend. Our plan is to make the main box of the body as small as possible, leaving as much weight as possible free to go into the flail weaponry.

Meaning we get this nice comparison between the old top panel, around 600mm , and the new one, a 300mm square.
    Size Comparison.jpg
    It shows nicely just how much space was empty inside the original, and why we were so easily pushed around and flipped out.

Finally found the time to finish the chassis, attach the motor mounts and the side armour.

Left on the to-do list:
    1. Refit the electronic internals in a safe way. As this version is much smaller the internals are at a far higher risk of damage.
    2. Pick out the chains and weights/weapon heads for the ends.

So questions asked this time:
    1. How does everyone store their internals to reduce risk of damage? For example, shock mounting.
    2. How strong do you think the chains would need to be to resist hits against opposing weapons, such as spinners. (Keep in mind we're mostly attending Extreme Robots events, so spinner speed is limited.)

No idea if this is good advice as I am still a total novice and building my first bot now, but always happy to share my thoughts whether they are total tripe or or useful nuggets you can decide

1 - I have seen some people are using packing foam to hold electronics and protect from shocks. I do wonder about the heat issue this could create so I am not sure its the best option and will investigate some other options.

2 - Thinking about a chain weapon myself for a future robot and after some consideration I decided a motorbike chain could be a good option to try, as it would be relatively cheap, and I imagine quite tough.

Team Kaizen

How does everyone store their internals to reduce risk of damage? For example, shock mounting.
    I tend to store my batteries and electronics, in the Featherweight class upwards, in a Tupperware box that is padded out with a few Sainsburys shopping bags. The box itself is then held onto the HDPE chassis plate with bolts and in the past, I've used the fuzzy side of Velcro to add further shock protection.

How strong do you think the chains would need to be to resist hits against opposing weapons, such as spinners. (Keep in mind we're mostly attending Extreme Robots events, so spinner speed is limited.)
    If this is a concern, I might consider doubling up on the chain so you'd have two strands doing the same thing al la Carbide. However, so long as the chain is well tensioned and a cover guard fitted so as much as the chain is hidden, you should be OK. I would however defer to one of the Axe featherweights on this one though, such as BattleAxe or Hatchet since they do use chains in their weapon so far as I know.

Alternatively, a pulley and belt might be simpler to add and maintain?
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Quote Originally Posted by callumhoy View Post
    1. How does everyone store their internals to reduce risk of damage? For example, shock mounting.
    I have not shock mounted my ESCs and *touch wood* they have been ok so far. The battery is shocked mounted on all sides using a sponge cut into layers about 15mm thick and I have not had any problems with it.

Register To Comment