Register To Comment
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Kaizen - Shu!

Team Kaizen

Hey Everyone!

Following on from Robots Live! in Grantham, we are going to start branching into the Beetleweight category with Shu!, the name coming from the type of goldfish we have at home, a Shubunkin, which ties in with the Japanese naming theme we have going on as the breed is Japanese in origin.

Unlike The Honey Badger, Shu! is going to be a lifter robot, using a meaty enough servo to lift the front of the robot up with a pair of short nails action as forks. The drive I had originally planned to a pair of drill motors I had laying around but they don't fit into the shell I have, a sandwich tin so I'll work on getting a new set of motors and wheels. If there is enough weight allowance left over, I might add in some extra polycarbonate over the top of the tin.

I can't see this one taking too long to build (though I will need to source a thin and light battery pack to go in it) so hopefully will be ready in time for Stevenage if there is any Beetleweight fights going on in that time.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Great to hear you're looking to join the beetleweight party Michael! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with, just be make sure you prepare for spinners, theres masses of them .

Team Kaizen

Of course, I remember seeing one or two which really, really looked destructive.

Ordered a pair of motors and wheels yesterday and e-mailed Rory to see if a BeetleTwo speed controller can be purchased. Next bits to get is a battery pack (this will be my first time using a Lithium battery) and a servo. Jacking arm will be made out of some left over HDPE I have from The Honey Badger. I'll post a conceptual drawing later on.
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 24th August 2017 at 11:15.

bring back honey badger as a beetle and name it pancake =P

Metal box with nail lifting forks? Look no further than the original king B

Team Kaizen

bring back honey badger as a beetle and name it pancake =P
    Haha! The way it is now you could almost classify it as one, bit big mind

Metal box with nail lifting forks? Look no further than the original king B
    Ish. Imagine King Buxton mixed with Wheely Big Cheese and you are pretty much there. A scan of my conceptual drawing is below. I might need to add in something for the rear in case of spinners.

concept.jpg
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 25th August 2017 at 00:58.

Oh, so the series 6-7 aggrobot syetem where the robot is lifted instead of an arm? We need more of those, they seem pretty effectuve, good luck!

Team Kaizen

Many thanks!

Wheel arrived this morning, ordered the rest of the stuff today. At a guestimate, I think this will come to ~600g but that is just to get rolling and lifting without any spikes. If I get a good wind on it, I can have the majority of the wiring done by the middle of September.

My only concern at the moment, having just bought it, is the battery. I am using a 700mh 5-10C 2SP1 LiFePO4 battery in this one (https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-fl...iver-pack.html). I think it'll be OK for Shu! but I've no experience with Lithium batteries at all.
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 25th August 2017 at 14:36.

Team Kaizen

Typical, the stuff arrived on the Saturday morning but I can't do anything with them as I am in Oxfordshire this weekend. Really, really want to just crack on with this one.

Team Kaizen

Came back today, immediately set to it. Cut out the holes for the wheels with the Dremel. However, without a speed controller, I can't really complete the wiring. LED power light has been wired into a plug and the lifting servo tested, plenty of torque in it.

I also need to figure out how to mount the motors. The cutting has left the centre back section a tad weak but I can mount the motors in the corners where there is still strength.

From left to right:

• The shell with the wheel cutouts made.
    • The shell with the motors and wheels roughly (and I mean roughly) located in the shell
    • The motors wired up with perhaps the neatest soldering I have done in ages

DSCF5642.JPGDSCF5643.JPGDSCF5644.JPG

Register To Comment