Register To Comment
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Team Kaizen - Shu!

Team Kaizen

I did a static test with The Honey Badger 1.0 shell, frame and battery to get to 1.6kg. Shu! was quite capable as it turned out, especially when you consider that the whole robot is running undervolted.

I've since also cut a new serrated lifting arm with a much shallower angle so hopefully that will work against spinners and reinforced the front plates (in the video, you can the front plates nearly coming off).

Last edited by Ocracoke; 23rd January 2018 at 17:16.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Team Kaizen

Do you know whats making it tip itself over instead of transferring the power to the other bot?
    Its all about leverage. The pivot point of the arm, where the motor is, is about half way into the robot. The forks at the front are supposed to help lever onto the floor so more of the upward thrust goes into the lift of the opponent. However, the forks are 3mm thick and have a tendancy to bend.

If the pivot point was at the back of the robot as originally intended (there is a post from about November/December time showing where I originally wanted the motor to be, it would probably be better. Originally, the motor was far forwards but it meant the robor was forever turning itself over.

Team Kaizen

The UWE Beetle Brawl was the first outing for Shu! and did OK. I don't have any videos of the fights Shu! was in but I know there were plenty of cameras about, I'll update the post later on with the videos.

UPDATE: Many thanks to Joe Brown for the in-arena camera footage. They are his videos linked below.

First fight against Crabsoluely Crawful went fine... right up until the point where the serrated arm broke in half. Upon closer inspection, where I had drilled the hole for the locking pin was too close to a serrated point and the arm simply tore itself apart under load. The worse bit of this was that the arm didn't want to play ball all the time afterwards so I stuck the control arm on Shu! and tried to leave it in the flat position.

Second fight against 7th Circle was the one I was dreading prior to the event as this was a vertical spinner. Although that fight bent a few of the screws to the wheels and cracked a front panel, it wasn't too bad. What was bad was that 7th Circle managed to put Shu! on its back and the arm jammed.

Video (24:43 and 26:47)

So Shu! ended up in the Wooden Spoon melee and despite the arm not working properly, it managed to come 2nd in that fight with OMG the winner (a nippy robot I have to say).

Video (16:12)

Then came the Gladiator fights and in the first one, Shu! again came second in the first fight with Catalyst the winner. The second one went badly as moments before the fight, the removable link for the drive fell into the robot. Shu! can move on just the one link but the speed of the robot reduces to ultra-so-motion. Modus Operandi then decided to take a corner out of Shu! and subsequently ended up in the pit.

Video (both fights)

Post mortem on the arm revealed that one of the gearbox gears had some of its teeth stripped, so a new gearbox (and motor) is needed but I am surprised that stripped at all given it was a all metal gear affair. Reviewing the footage, Shu! was definitely underpowered but the basic design works. I won't be working on Shu! now until ~July as I've got The Honey Badger and Kaizen to deal with but Shu! has definitely become a favourite of mine.

From left to right: The bent wheel hub screws, Modus Operandi's handywork on the control arm, the front forks having come loose, the damage in the corner and finally the stripped teeth on the lifting arm.

DSCF6097.JPGDSCF6099.JPGDSCF6101.JPGDSCF6102.JPGDSCF6105.JPG

It was great seeing a few of the roboteers and their robots who I've been talking with prior to this event, rather surprised to get one of Eric the Destructor's spinning discs as a thank you!
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 13th February 2018 at 12:43.

Congratulations on Shu!'s performance at the event.

I reread the build thread to see how you controlled the limits on the arm. But failed to see how you did this. Do you use limit switches and a Arduino?

Team Kaizen

I reread the build thread to see how you controlled the limits on the arm. But failed to see how you did this. Do you use limit switches and a Arduino?
    I didn't, no. It is completely manual.

Team Kaizen

Shu! has been on the back burner since the Beetle Brawl with all of the other projects going on but spent a bit of time putting it back together with a couple of minor improvements, those being:

• New DSMX receiver so I can use my OrangeTX transmitter
    • M3 bolts added to the rear to prevent it beaching on its back

Other than that, pretty much everything else has been left alone. I'll need to redo the wiring in there at somepoint but it isn't essential right now. Looking forwards to a grudge match with Crabsolutely Clawful, soon hopefully.

Team Kaizen

So Shu! is in the European Beetleweight championships, a scary thought. :P The robot does need a few new panels making for it (I have some spare polycarbonate laying around so will use that) but today, I built a new arm to replace the snapped arm from the UWE Beetle Brawl, again in polycarbonate. The lid is a test acrylic lid which I'll use as a template but I'll change the front panels as well at the same time.

DSCF6630.JPG

Other than that, the robot won't sport any other major changes until after the Beetleweight championships where, hopefully, it'll come back in one piece.

Good to see shu! up and running again! Havnt ben on in a while but ive got plans over christmas to get building again

Register To Comment