Register To Comment
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Kaizen - Shu!

Team Kaizen

So with Shu! now running, I decided again to change the design again and have finally settled down on it. Just need to get the weapon speed arm/controller/battery/motor mounted and then we'll see how effective it is (the below is just a cardboard mockup of what it may look like). The plan is to allow the arm to swing through ~180 degrees so in theory, the arm can act as a grabber and do a nice contortionist manoeuvre.

Also made a cradle from old The Honey Badger chassis parts.

DSCF5912.JPG
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Team Kaizen

So bigger 1500 m/ah 3S LiFe batteries and a speed controller arrived today and they were eventually wired in to the robot. However, I think I've made a silly move, the ESC only appears to work in one direction. Doh. I've ordered a replacement, checking that it does have forward and reverse and it is local, so should be with me by Friday.

I'll see if I can get some time tomorrow to build the shell and sort out the wiring.

Team Kaizen

A few videos showing where Shu! is up to.

Team Kaizen

Today was about fabricating the lifting arm, which marks another tick in the stuff that needs to be done list before Feburary. After a session with the Dremel and a sheet of PVC...

DSCF5926.JPG

It still needs a bit of refining but that is the general shape it'll likely take the form of. Then came the testing. With a 600g weight on the end of the arm, the whole robot does a backflip onto itself when the arm attempts to raise. I suspect this is down to where the lifting motor is in relation to the rest of the robot and how the weight is distributed. If it was further in on the chassis plate, I suspect it might be OK.

A video of the problem.

Team Kaizen

Haha, sometimes they are magical to me as well I repositioned the motor further back onto the plate and it was a bit better, it managed to flip the cookie pack once but when the weight was properly on the arm, it did its backflip act again. I think either I'll need to:

• Add some forks to the front to support the robot as it lifts the arm up OR
    • Shorten the arm

Depends on the weight situation, the scales have acted up so I can't weigh it at the moment.

I'd suggest doing the former. And that first test drive of Shu! in the kitchen made me laugh. Reminds me of my first test drive of Ratatoskr, same thing happened, haha!

Team Kaizen

Haahaaha! I do have proper wheel hubs for the shaft but none of my M3 bolts appear to fit it so I think I might have a US measurement hub, which would appear to be ever so slightly narrower (4-40 by the looks of things). In the video was just the wheels glued on and not very well :P

It is likely to be a case of both shortening the arm and adding forks at this rate, again weight permitting.
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 14th December 2017 at 02:36.

Team Kaizen

So the new bidirectional 10A speed controller arrived this evening. A quick soldering job to fit it in (and a burnt fingernail), the arm now works as I hoped it would though there are still question marks over the arm length/forks required. The video below is Shu! flipping 400g of steel right at the very end of the arm, which needs a bit of reshaping to make it more flush with the floor.

Replaying the video in slow motion, I think I may swap out the 67:1 motor for a 131:1 motor simply for the extra torque. Once the shell is completed, I'll be disassembling the entire electrical system and reposition the LiFePO4 batteries to the back of the robot for extra counterbalance.
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 15th December 2017 at 02:52.

Looking really good! I like the fact that it swings over the top of the robot in a axe/flipper fashion. Yu should design your own wheel hubs that have tiny nun-chucks sticking out the center!

Register To Comment