Register To Comment
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Kaizen - Shu!

Team Kaizen

Found a bit of time to cut out the HDPE base plate to mount the components onto. I've managed to get hold of *a* speed controller so when that arrives, the thing should come together somewhat quickly though having read the events at the Euro Beetleweight championships, probably going to need to rethink the armour again (that always seems to be a failing of mine).
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Are you sure two micro metal gearmotors will be up to the job? Regardless, it looks great! By *A* speed controller, do you mean a sabretooth?

Team Kaizen

Many thanks!

Are you sure two micro metal gearmotors will be up to the job?
    I believe so, they have a fair amount of drag on them so I don't think I'll be worrying about torque on this one.

By *A* speed controller, do you mean a sabretooth?
    I do indeed. I may have fluffed up over which one I am getting (a 5A dual) but I don't think the battery puts out that much anyway so... we'll see.

Team Kaizen

The Sabretooth controller arrived today and I wasted no time in getting the bits together onto a board to see how it runs. The thing came together fairly rapidly as a proof of concept.

DSCF5663.JPG

Moves nicely, if not as quick as I thought it might do though it moves well enough I think.

Team Kaizen

So this one has been quiet as I've been working on The Honey Badger and preparing for building Kaizen (the heavyweight) but I've made some headway with Shu! in that I've decided, as Theo pointed out, the 298:1 micro motors were simply too small so I've put them towards a antweight robot called Osu ("push" in Japanese) which I challenged myself to finish by Friday (built most of it on Monday) with recycled components around the house - a old Skittles sweet tub and a chopped up wooden whiteboard frame.

All of the stuff that Shu! had is now in Osu but I've bought some Como 15:1 motors (here) that should be plenty beefy enough. I'll donate a set of LiFePO4 batteries from The Honey Badger for the cause and I have a Como 50:1 motor for the lifting/jacking arm (here) so it needs:

• A chassis and armour
    • RC controller
    • A secondary mixer
    • 2x speed controllers

I'll see about finishing Shu! off over the Christmas period in time, potentially, for the UWE event in Bristol.

Team Kaizen

Feeling a bit rubbish since Maidstone but found some time to work on Shu! Managed to place the drive and weapon motors on the 3mm PVC board I've got for this. I now worry it looks a bit too... big compared to other Beetleweights (about 28cm wide!) but I am working on it.

DSCF5906.JPG

My current design is coming in not that far away at 240mm in the CAD.

Is that the final materials for your base? I was thinking of 1.5mm Aluminium
    Also curious what the second mixer you referees to is for?

Team Kaizen

Is that the final materials for your base?
    Yeah, it will be (probably with a few weight saving holes). The rear and the sides will be also be PVC covered.

Also curious what the second mixer you referees to is for?
    I must confess, I've no experience with secondary mixers beyond what I've read here, The Honey Badger uses a proper tank RC controller so doesn't need a mixer and Osu uses a Sabretooth dual 5A so again, doesn't need one. I was considering something simple like this.

Team Kaizen

So scratch the last couple of posts.

I've taken the electronics out of Osu and put them in Shu! as the former needs to be rebuilt into a legal Antweight anyway. The Sabretooth and the LiFePO4 battery are in and now Shu! is running, although probably wants a better battery. Next job is to get a compliant power light in and mount the wheel hubs to the wheels.

I also cut Shu's width in half so it looks a bit more graceful and bit more weight saving.

Register To Comment