Register To Comment

Thread: Scooter motor sprockets

It's a D-shaft, and yes, it's that simple.

The MY1020 ain't bad motors, but can use some spit and polish. Better magnet retaining and beter wires come to mind.

Depending on what size of sprockets you plan on using, there's not much of a shaft left when you take the nut and original sprocket off. What I did was to take the sprocket off, put the nut back on (spot of weld too) and run the motor while taking an angle grinder to it to smooth it down and round it off. If you get it right, it leaves a ~12mm diameter. This left me with more shaft to pin my sprockets to. They've been great motors, just needed a bit of epoxy on the magnets, much better performing than Bosch 750s from my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Deegan View Post

Jamie mentioned using a spot of weld to secure the sprockets. I don't have access to any weld gear but was thinking of using araldite or plain old super glue. They are just held on with the reverse nuts at the moment.

If they're held on with threads, throw some red loctite on there.

Loctite-Threadlocker-Red-271.htm

You might need a series of strong people (and a blowtorch) to get it off again though.

Last time I epoxy'd magnets I did make up a batch of epoxy, dabbed it in between the magnets and had the motor spin around in the lathe untiel the glue was hardened.

Register To Comment