Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Come Here And Say That Again - build dairy

2015-07-16 22.49.22.jpg

Come Here And Say That was my first featherweight that actually got into an arena - it was built in an afternoon as a bit of a joke for the Inter Hackspace Robot Wars but went on to win it. Its since been to a few live events and survived getting thrown around by the floor flipper but never really did much to worry anyone competitively. It had two ride on scooter motors and gearboxes, a Sabertooth 2x25 ESC (which didn't die!), old school 3Ah Technobots nicads and salvaged 10mm polycarbonate. Eventually one of the motors died so now I'm building a slightly more serious replacement. Come Here and Say That Again will probably only be a little more competitive, as I'm trying to spend as little as possible again by repurposing some spares from Deadlock. As they're from a heavyweight they're a bit out of place in a feather, but it should be fun if it works.

full design.PNGlifter up.PNG
    The new design is similar: a big wheeled wedge with a polycarb chassis but this time with a shock mounted hardox wedge, lifter hidden underneath, massive motors and go kart wheels. Hopefully this will also be a quick build since its relatively simple and I have almost everything on hand.

980799370666360270_account_id=1.jpg2545216011358707697_account_id=1.jpg2017-08-06 16.16.51.jpg
    These are the motors and batteries from Deadlock and the wheels from my ride on power tool drag racer - I'll be using two of each. Just the motors, batteries and wheels come to ~8kg, so weight is going to be tight.

2017-08-10 19.42.12.jpg2017-08-11 22.43.15.jpg2017-08-08 20.43.18.jpg
    Some of the bits bought just for CHASTA

2017-08-05 19.45.33.jpg
    I've just started the machining, these sprockets may ultimately end up in Deadlock, but for now they're being stolen as they also happen to give the right gear ratio for an overpowered feather.

This weekend I'm hoping to make the majority of the plastic parts.

So a heavyweight inside a featherweight? this is going to be awesome. If you're interested, Rory from team Nuts recently did something similar with scooter motors, he posted a video of it. I hope it enters next Insomnia!

Team Kaizen

Does it bring you over the limit though? If it does, that would be an issue and in that instance, I'd probably agree with the wheel change or perhaps some weight saving holes in the armour (though wherever the latter will help substantially I don't know).
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Team Kaizen

Ohh err, not good. I guess the wheels are pneumatic, not solid?
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Have you thought about putting some small weight reduction holes in the chassis? Just don't overdo it to the point where it compromises the structural integrity. Should bring it down some, but other than that, I'm not sure what else to say. Thinner tires? Foam instead of thick rubber? Helium instead of air? Okay maybe not the last one, not sure if that's against the rules or not, haha.

If the chassis weighs 2.6kg and he needs to lose 2.5kg, drilling holes would leave him with virtually no chassis left

What about making wheels from thin HDPE with tyre wrapped round them, akin to what Tough As Nails has? I imagine the kart tyres would weigh a fair bit, so doing that would save weight while keeping the aesthetic similar.

Register To Comment