Register To Comment
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Electric Axe featherweight - first build of FW

Status
    Name
    Nat
    Robots
    Short Circuit (HW RWs6) DELLapidated bANTtery (AW) LowMoe (AW) Several unnamed ants
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow it's been a month since my last update.
    What's happened? Well quite a bit.

Sourcing some hardox 3.2 mm is difficult, and my supplier can only get 6mm so that's out of e question.
    Found some nice plate that will do for now tho, so just need to add braces to mount these on.
    The chassis is now bolted together using some wood screw inserts.
    New motor mounts made for the drive motors.
    Wiring has been 50% completed and still not made the ax or motor mount for he axe.
    What I did do tho is find my linear actuator which just so happens fits in the slot for the axe mech, so I could in theory have a lifter...

Pics to come

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sourcing 3.2mm Hardox ain't difficult. Any commercial end user of SSAB steel can order a sheet.
    Problem, a sheet is 6x2.5m

Status
    Name
    Nat
    Robots
    Short Circuit (HW RWs6) DELLapidated bANTtery (AW) LowMoe (AW) Several unnamed ants
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thats the reason why i have to stick with this stuff i found and not Hardox at this stage, 6x2.5 is alot for me, and the cost of getting it lasercut by Kcut was too much just for what it was.

Once i have had my first proper FW battle, then i can invest in more materials,

Attached is my pneumatic rams i have for reference to a sale.

20171005_092735_1507206161045_resized.jpg20171005_092720_1507206158922_resized.jpg
    Last edited by Roboteernat; 5th October 2017 at 12:34.

Status
    Name
    Nat
    Robots
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some updates
    With great big thanks to Katch and his old Hard-Ox bodies, i now have some Hardox which i will cut and shape to suit the armour for the feather. This was the only thing stopping me from progressing with the build, oh and the base plate!
    I intend to use some of the metal to shape some side panels so that there is armour on the side and not just relying on the 12mm HDPE.

I have reworked my motor mounts as the same as i suplied to a roboteer from 15mm HDPE, however this does mean my 4 mounting holes on the back panel are now over too much by 2 mm, so may have to modify something for this, perhaps a plate to support it and enlarge the holes sideways. Too much and the motors will not fit nicely and could bind on the side wall if there is too much of a bend made from impact. Hopefully the Hardox side panels will stop this.

I may also use the hardox to reinforce the base as i could end p using Polycarbonate 6mm as my material for the base plate, i dont want it to flex too much, so the supports will be made to reach across the whole width of the bot.

My axe motor mount needs to be machined but i have the 15mm HDPE for this and will make a mounting plate from 3mm aluminium.

The hardox is a godsend and will get things back on track. Am wanting to compete in Portsmouth (home town) and perhaps meet with the Chris in Southampton

Progress shots to come!

Status
    Name
    Nat
    Robots
    Post Thanks / Like
    So i borrowed my uncles angle grinder (Alan Grinder) and bought some new disks for it and cut up some panels from one of the Hard-Ox shells. From this panel I have cut out the 2 parts that form the sides of the bot, 4 pieces in total. Unfortunately the edge strips were curved and have somehow remained curved, probably due to the heat applied when they were welded together to make the shell of Hard-ox.
    This means i have mirrored the pattern and cut out the reverse side to allow the curve to shape the other side. this doesnt read well. bit of an annoying day at work today.

Anyways, i nopw have 4 roughly cut out side panels to weld together.

Status
    Name
    Nat
    Robots
    Post Thanks / Like
    i really cannot leave it a month without updating this build however the lack of funds has caused no progress, except for this week, well today...

Last week my collegue gave me an arc welder, one of 3 he had lying about, so that was greatfully received, and after some needed TLC, the welder is a wonderful machine.
    I was also able to borrow an angle grinder from my Uncle, and after purchasing some disks from ScrewFix i was on my way to rescuing some panels of Hardox from the donor chasis of Hard-Ox.
    Today, i was able to shape some of the side pieces, and giving them a facceted look to the curves by cutting almost all the way through and folding along these lines.

Sadly however, my auto darkening welding mask that i already had for some years ran out of battery power so i couldnt actually weld anything.

Tomorrow i will grab some batteries and will commence.

Register To Comment