Register To Comment
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric Axe featherweight - first build of FW

Unfortunatly i didnt have any tipples this weekend, well since glass of red last monday plus i was upstairs asleep at 5am
    I will have words with my cat, i recon he must have been wanting to play the fish cat game lol

I do have some updates and after eaten lunch will update (with pictures too woo!)

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgWell... that was a very long lunch break ahem....

So update.

I managed to machine my new main spar rib for the chassis, however it turns out I didn’t increase the length by 5mm to allow my electric Ram to fit nicely, so I may have to get some more material to machine some new spares, however having fitted this new one, it does feel a lot stronger and less prone to snapping in half...

I have also ground down the 2 front plates for the wedge. I’m liking the angle of attack on them but still lacking effective mounting for them, need to machine some more aluminium bars for this. Job for tomorrow lunch maybe...

The motor for the axe mech and the gears have been test fitted and it’s looking like a nice machine, however the gearing ratio may not be the bes being 1:5 so have to test and see what speed and power I get from it.

My anti spark XT connector arrived so need to add that sim to the electronics and cut the hole out to mount the link connectors.
    With this goes mounting some extra wedge pieces to the side to allow the side armour to mount correctly.
    I will weld the front wedge to the side, so maintenance process will start from removing the side of hardox to get access.
    I like this as it also allows for several fixings to be made to the armour plates at different angles and places so it’s less likely to get ripped off.

Still to do...
    Machine the base plate. I need to decide if I will add the 5mm into the rib as this will lbs affect the base plate.

Add separating HdPE barrier and location hole for 5e battery. Currently single 4s 3300mah. Should be ok...

Mount armours

Make side mounts and thread

Countersink all holes

Remake the left hand thread bolts for mounting wheels as 8 need longer length.

Oh and make axe, mount chain cogs and make bracket to mount weapon motor...

Not much then...

Light... I’m thinking of side-lighting some polycarbonate in the middle of the robot, so it glows a nice red or something but means the LEDs are away from danger but looks good.
    image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Having 5e LEDs here however may not be seen if the Ram is fitted.
    May have to rethink this...

Current weigh-in......

image.jpg

Surprisingly only 10.5kg!
    Plenty of room for bolts and some more HDPE panels, and base!
    Last edited by Roboteernat; 19th April 2018 at 23:50.

Well. I managed to watch some of the battle vids from Manchester and came to the conclusion that my 12mm hdpe needs to be beefed up in places, so I'm considering g upping the thickness in certain sections of my design.
    I think I will also add hard sections to underside of chasing to strengthen the wedge edge, and add additional screw fixings to the sides and rear armour as I'm sure these will be where I will be hit from by a spinner.
    I can also see myself being taken out by a spinner attacking the rear exposed section of the wheels so as I don't actually need these to be exposed I may add a hard ox cover assuming weight allows.

In other news... I powered up my initial electrical setup, bodged at most before I fully wire up everything g.
    Here is a link to my video of it driving, not great as my trims and mixing have not been St and one of he wheels wasn't actually screwed on, more of a self ooh I can wiggle the motors kinda test...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...0&id=285901821

So, will main out some bits and see what happens

One question tho...

What rated cable are people using? I went for 12AWG for he amp rating, and as this is used on the TZ85A, however I noticed yesterday the battery is 10AWG, a 3.3 nano-tech 4s 65 to 130c discharge.

My understanding with the rules meant 12AawG is suitable.

Please correct me if I need to upgrade before I complete everything

Cheers

On my bot it is 15mm HDPE sides and rear, which took a nibble from drumroll. The axe frame is made from 20mm HDPE which cracked after armour plate and before the front cross member due to a design flaw. That hit was on the last fight thanks to Binky. I use 12awg all fine with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxamuslead View Post
    On my bot it is 15mm HDPE sides and rear....
    Hmmm... perhaps i need to reconsider the sides even though they have hardox protection.

Will get some in now so i have the choice before i finally finish the build before Portsmouth.

I was considering machining the axe frame plates from 10mm aluminium, will see what cad says about weight and try it

here is the fights and battle damage of blacksmith,

5.26 for Drumrolls nibble

9.08 for Binkys bite.

If you want some more photos of the damage let me now

I would be interested in seing close-up of the crack on your 20mm section you mention please what was your design flaw? i think i found one in mine... finger joint in the wrong direction so it can 'open' if hit by an upward force as apposed to close in and spread load...

IMG_20180426_172603.jpgunnamed.jpg

See the where it is missing a bit ? that was what broke off (gave to Team Eventorizon as a trophy). It was simply too thin and dint have a alu block to hold it on.

On Forge Master (WIP replacement to Blacksmith) that issue has now been fixed

Hmmm... yeah that looks the same as the way I made my finger joint where top most part sits over the bottom, bottom should sit on top so force is not snapping...

May have to redesign some sections... well off to buy more material! Thank you for the pictures

Have been looking at the design and i know i have about 2 weeks to complete this thing to get some days driving with it before battle, but im looking to build some parts from thicker material in order to absorb impacts and increase strength.

I have just placed an order for 20mm and 15mm sheet material, mainly the 20mm for the robot and 15mm for more motor mounts i am selling. This should be arriving in 3 days time, meaning i have enough material now to do a few parts in 20mm.

Looking at the gear ratio for the axe mech i also waht to get this tested, incase i need bigger gears. currently a 5:1 ratio isnt great as its only 2 and half rotations of the motor to get full swing of axe... Will see if i can go bigger with the output gear or adjust the gear ratio, alternativly i may switch to a drill motor and rely on this for a gear down ratio. Not the ideal solution...
    I really wanted all the gearing in the chasis footprint and not be exposed ontop. but this may have to change.

Register To Comment