Register To Comment

Thread: A tribute to the one that started it all

Hi everyone,

I have some old featherweight internals left over from my old robot, and plan to put them to use in a backup bot in case my new spinner lets me down. I've had this idea in the back of my mind for about a year now, and I think it would be a wonderful treat for audiences, especially long-time fans of Robot Wars.

In tribute to the show's beginnings, I want to build a FW replica of Roadblock.

One thing I feel obliged to do before I start, however, is obtain permission to use the bot's image from the original owners. I believe I have found Chris Kinsey on Facebook, but haven't had any luck with a reply. I'm wondering if anyone knows a way of contacting Hender Blewett, because I can't seem to find him. Or am I reading too much into this, given the whole venture is non-profit?

I'd much appreciate any help or advice. Thanks!

I can't believe it! I've had the exact same idea, instead a heavyweight (or ant, I have a couple of designs). I was thinking of using the same methods he used (wheelchair motors and servos). It might not be too competitive, but Jonno does displays and exhibitions, and that would be perfect for it, just like the teapot zooming all over the place throughout the event. Permission from Chris and Hender might be a bit difficult, they've been very quiet on the robot scene since series 3. From what I know, part of roadblock is on Chris' wall. It's a brilliant idea, I hope I goes well.

I'm glad you think so. I was thinking of calling it either 'Blockade' or 'Gridlock'.
    And I only intend it to look like Roadblock cosmetically, everything under the surface will be bang up to date and durable enough for modern combat. I've even found a gorgeous little alloy blade that's perfect size for the back: http://www.diy.com/departments/ptx-6.../692436_BQ.prd
    I appreciate I don't expect it to actually win anything, it's just there to be a crowd-pleaser.

In the event that I can't get hold of the old team in any way, do you think it would be wise to press on regardless?

I think if you can't get a hold, I think you should go on. I mean, you're not going to deliberately ruin its image, a small homage would only be good. I was thinking of titling my build diary "the road to roadblock" or something cheesy like that. Make it invertible and it can actually be quite good, the saw will actually have quite a good effect on HDPE. I'm looking forward to how it will turn out

There'll be no harm in making it as a tribute without their permission. A fair few feather replicas of machines exist, and quite often it is without the original builders knowing at first (though contact is usually made at some stage in proceedings).

Personally, is love to make a replica of cunning plan, it was so simple and effective with the LaMachine style wedge. It seems perfectly doable, I even have all the part barring batteries.

Is there much of a point making a replica of Cunning Plan when the original exists?

The original exists, but I doubt it will be in good condition. Plus, Oliver hasn't taken it to any recent event. My design will be a slight update to make it more competitive, basically big wheels and two cut outs at the top so I can run inverted. This will be just a start on working with metal and working to a specific design; my main priority is building a heavyweight Roadblock but I may need some practise on a smaller scale. That, and I just love Cunning Plan.

Register To Comment