Register To Comment
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Ratatoskr Build Diary. (Featherweight)

yes i spotted it after i posted, i am tired. bit worried that it will either be not strong enough to self-right

Well if it doesn't, then I'll have to fix that bridge on the way of crossing it... if that makes any sense. Basically if it doesn't flip it, I'll look into a more powerful motor.

not sure one would be enough but a a RS775 or aTorpedo 850 might be a good candidate if you dont want to use a scooter motor

So I managed to mount the mechanism onto Ratatoskr, and although it's a rather snug fit, just a little bit of wear and tear will smooth it all out and should mean that it'll run smoother too.

I apologise for the shaky/crap camera positioning and the shoddy commentary, but handling my tremors is not one of my strong suits. (Doesn't help that I just finished using the jigsaw cutter too.)

So I just need to do a little more work on the mechanism, and it should (don't quote me on this) work smoothly. The amount of time I've had on this has been quite... troublesome, considering the weather, the material and the fact that my friend's been out of action thanks to illness. But the finish line is getting closer and closer... I just need more time.

Hopefully tomorrow, I'll be able to get more of the cutting done if the weather stays right, then reassemble, remount and hand-test the motion of the mechanism again. If that goes smoothly, then I can get straight on with the wiring, mount the link sections properly, and get those batteries in a more suitable protected area. I have a couple more takeaway boxes from asda ding meals that I can just cut and test if need be, and if that fits and works, I can tie it all down and get working on the armour.

Speaking of armour, I think I've got quite a bit of weight to play around with, though I haven't weighed it recently. So in theory, I could go for thicker HDPE then layer some thin sheet metal from B&Q on top of it. That's in theory though. If that doesn't work, then it may just end up being HDPE.

So I just managed to sort out the long piece that was being a hindrance, and now it works fairly smoothly, although I may need to make the hole connecting long piece to L pieces a little longer, but that'd be for another time.

So with a little wear and tear, it'll more than likely run better than I expected. So tomorrow or day after, I should be able to solder up and connect the last of the wiring, and replace the lights. Then that'd be that done and I can finally move onto the armouring... and figure out how to apply to the Manchester event, haha.

Team Kaizen

As far as I know, the signups for Manchester (or indeed, any other Extreme Robots event) hasn't been released yet. Looking good though, you'll want to have some break in time with it to free up the mechanism as you mentioned.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Well I spent all night yesterday wiring up the weapon motor, rewiring the lights and spent all day today with a friend to work on the weapon arm (which pretty much makes it a club right now) and the links that connect the arm to the L linkages.

Both sets of batteries are on storage charge, ready to be charged tomorrow for a test run, the battery box is going to be replaced for the third time, as I managed to make the battery hole larger once again, and I'll just have to go from there, make a check list of things.

If it all works out, I can move on to making a spike for the weapon out of a piece of rolled steel tubing... might not work, but it's worth a shot, make a skidplate so the HDPE doesn't end up wearing out as if it was running on sandpaper constantly, and then mock up some templates for the armour out of some cardboard I have lying around the place.

All goes well, it'll be done by the end of Monday next week. If not, well... maybe Friday next week. Who knows.

So, after that rather unfortunate hiccup with the weapon motor burnt out, I have the new scooter motor for the axe, and I've been modifying the inner spines of the robot once more, as shown in this video;

Unfortunately, although I know how to remove the circlip on the scooter motor, I have no idea how to pull the timing belt sprocket off so I can do whatever I want with it... Either I'm weak as all hell or I need some sort of tool to get it off the axle...

Any help?

i just tried to make a video to post on getting this off, but just get a small flat head screw driver and place it in the gap of the 'e-clip' and twist it. that will remove it, then just pry up the pulley with a bigger flat head screw driver... video coming if i can

in fact this will do:

not my video
    Last edited by Roboteernat; 16th February 2018 at 23:20.

No no, I can remove the e-clip without any problem, it's taking the pulley sprocket off the axle itself, but it refuses to budge.

Register To Comment