Register To Comment
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Ratatoskr Build Diary. (Featherweight)

So... been a while since I've updated the build diary, but thankfully, today, me and my friend has managed to get the wheels onto Ratatoskr. Ended up buying the wheels from RogueTwoRobots, and they fit perfectly onto the robot, no loose wheels, nothing. All we would need to do is tape up the link to a safer place, which in turn pulls the wires away from the robot motor.

My friend, Sid, held the camera for this one, but it pretty much shows the progress we had made, but it also shows how scatterbrained we are, haha.

Either way, we can move on to the next section of the robot which has gotten us smiling from ear to ear. Weapon. Well, the mechanism for it anyway.
    Last edited by Outlaw; 22nd December 2017 at 17:20.

Team Kaizen

Gratz on getting it moving. I spy the tupperware box the battery is in, looks similar to what I use in The Honey Badger. I can use some foam padding or even a couple of folded shopping bags to keep my batteries in place along with a lid.

You would need to consider adding a guard or using some cable ties to keep the wiring away from the wheels mind to prevent them being chewed up. Surprised it weighs 6.6kg though - mine weighs 9.6kg all finished.

Speed controllers are TZ85As.
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 10th November 2017 at 16:51.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Looks great guys!

I have same issue for battery. Velcro strap is an easy option need to source one myself.
    Thought about adhesive Velcro patches but perhaps battery heat would weaken glue.

Oh don't worry, I don't plan on leaving the battery loose, that was just for the test drive. Soon as we get the weapon on the bot, I'm gonna stick it down with velcro tape and cushion it with packaging foam, but I will put a more intact tupperware box in instead of a cut up one haha.

Glad the wheels have got it moving. Could always trim the excess bike tyre from the inside of the wheels as they're not really contacting the floor at that point and it would save you having to trim your chassis.

Also if you ever need to replace the tyre (I forgot they were quite worn), go to your local Halfords or bike shop and ask if they have any spare old tyres from their bike services. When I mentioned to the guy at my local that it was for a Robot Wars robot, he told me that he'd hold on to some old ones for the next time I pop in.

No no Jamie, thank you for selling them to me, made things 100% easier and allowed me to move onto more pressing matters, such as the weapon. Funnily enough, the great thing is that it has about 2mm ground clearance or so, so it runs smooth AND I don't have to worry about ground clearance either.

As for a deadline to see if we can get Ratatoskr anywhere, I'm hoping to get it ready in time for Manchester next year in April. Which ideally gives me 6 months, tops.

Weapon wise, I've marked out what needs to be cut out, which I hope to do tomorrow, and then it'd be back to screwfix to get myself some M5 penny washers, just for safety sakes.

Team Kaizen

Funnily enough, the great thing is that it has about 2mm ground clearance or so, so it runs smooth AND I don't have to worry about ground clearance either.
    You may find with a 2mm ground clearance that the swarf/unevenness from the arena might cause issues. This isn't as a big problem in Extreme Robots but the Robots Live arena can be strewn with debris from the HW fights. That being said, I do get more traction on the Robots Live arena than Extreme Robots... :P

Hope to see you in Manchester
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

So, after a long 2 hours work... we've got something that resembles an axe mechanism... or at least something as close to a motorised version of shunt... that isn't motorised, haha.

As you can see, it's not completely finished yet, there's still a lot of cutting and slotting to do, we just didn't have the time to do it as we were losing daylight as the time went on. But hopefully at some point either tomorrow or next week, we'll have the axe mechanism in Ratatoskr... and fingers crossed, not have it blow up in our scruffy bearded faces.

intresting what weapon motor are you using ? wasn't it a 350w scooter ?

Nah, it's going to be the same motors, the 18v drill motor that is up there in the middle of nowhere on the test drive of Ratatoskr. If need be, there'll be some weight reduction, but, also, if need be, I can always try and drum up some money for a scooter motor if needed.
    Last edited by Outlaw; 22nd December 2017 at 17:56.

Register To Comment