Register To Comment
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hovercraft Battle Bot

Redirect Left
    Quote Originally Posted by daveimi View Post
    EDIT - even though I've been mucking about, I can't see the setup surviving the current crop of spinners that turn up every where you go. Tbh they're stiffling creativity. Even if I put the fans in a hardox box, I still couldn't afford to be rebuilding each time they got a big knock.
    This was another reason I never pursued the idea, I could never think of a way to overcome spinners with the design, no matter the exact method of movement (skirt, wheels etc). I do agree that spinners are somewhat stiffling creativity. Stops you being able to include a neat new idea, that is if you're wanting to have a serious attempt at battle and not be eliminated straight away. I'd hate to end up creating something but it ending up the joke of the competition i entered.

Many ideas are almost impossible to protect against spinners, at least if you still want the design to be maneuverable and not look like a factory reject tank.

really hmmm. To be honest the only type of weaponry that this really would effect would be grapple bots as they are generally the ones who loss out the most especially at the featherweight in full combat it spinners or beater/drums and in no spinner events its flippers

Getting OT - it depends on the arena design. In Australia and the US, arenas have little to no 'throw out zones' so flippers have a much harder time winning. I haven't been following the US Sportsman bots but here in Australia, axes and lifters do very well.

Back to hovercraft bots: another drawback is trying to reverse them. Its possible to turn in their own length but a proper reverse takes a lot of extra engineering and weight.

true but you know what is also boring for EO point of view ? broken bots fights or bots which simply look same with different paint.

<face palm> Entanglement rules are there for a very good reason. Entanglement is anti-everything, not just spinners - how would you feel about a bot that jammed up your hovercraft fan, locked your wheels up, stopped your lifter working? If you thought an all wedge match was a bit boring, just wait until the dual entanglement match becomes common! There is just zero entertainment value in it and we wouldn't see Robot wars on TV ever again.

oh yeah totally agree hence why Mentorn set these rules

14.2 EntanglementDevices designed specifically to entangle other weapons are permitted under the follow conditions:

14.2.1 SeparationEntanglement devices must not cause two or more robots to be entangled together to the point where a battlerequires intervention in order for it to continue.

14.2.2 Materials & Construction typeAny entanglement devices constructed with rope, wire, chain and similar materials may not be interlaced orwoven. Nets, cloth, chainmail and similar are prohibited. For clarification on your device please contact RobotWars.

14.2.3 Maximum LengthThe maximum permitted length of rope, wire, chain and any similar materials is 1m.

not sure how it worked in combat be fun to see

Register To Comment