Register To Comment

Thread: Rewiring Car Seat Motor for Use in Lifting Arm

Hi Guys,

I'm using a car seat motor to power the lifting arm in my new featherweight. Of course I'll need to re-wire this thing slightly so that it's compatible. I've seen a video of someone taking a motor like this apart, but it's for a different purpose so there's still a few things I'm unsure about. So I would really appreciate some help just so I can tell what's what before I accidentally break something like in the ESC incident.

So I popped the rear off and was greeted with this -

IMG_0784[1].jpg IMG_0786[1].jpg IMG_0787[1].jpg IMG_0788[1].jpg IMG_0789[1].jpg

There's 5 wires, I assume that the Blue one is positive, the Purple is negative, and that trio of Black, White/Orange and Red are hooked up to that little circuit board. Not entirely sure what that does though - I would assume something related to communicating with a car? If that's the case, can the board, along with that cluster of Black, White/Orange and Red wires be removed entirely? The blue wire is soldered to the lower connector of the blue box thingy, and I think that the purple one is connected to the bottom of that copper piece (in between the chunky white wire and the motor brush), in which case that circuit board is totally bypassed.

So for my purpose - I'd be taking out that circuit board along with the trio of wires, and then my new positive is going to the lower connector of the blue box, and my negative could be soldered to that copper bit? Does that sound about right? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    -Dominic

Hiya, you will prob find the blue is positive and black is negative correct, and the other wires are some sort of current limiting sensing signals from the pcb to determin when the max and minimum have been reached.

if you have access to a PSU that allows you to limit current, try probing these wires to see if it moves, the PSU should stop any damage to motor and source.

What vehicle did you get this from?

I wouldnt use your ESC yet until correctly determined the wire combo.

You may be able to adapt the signals to control a max and minimum of the ram for your bot?

Hi Nat, thanks for the response.

I currently don't have something like that. However I might know someone who does and I could just send it to them. Would still be way cheaper than buying a new power supply just for this little job.

It's from a Rover 75. I've tried looking up the model number of this motor (Valeo 9450324B) but there doesn't seem to be whole lot of info about it.

That's really interesting - I hadn't thought about that. At the moment the plan is to have a limit switch at both ends of the motor's travel. To be honest that sounds a bit easier, not entirely sure how I could go about adapting those signals.
    Last edited by dotDominic; 11th July 2017 at 09:58.

to adapt the signals you would need a microcontroller that would control the relay which powers the motor, a bit like the ESC, but that you coud program controls to react to the signal wires. Something i have pondered before but just never got round to doing. Maybe this is my inspiriation, as i am after a small stroke ram for some gripping spikes im having... hmmmmm

You could possibly use just a plug in mains cable, something that gives out 12v about an amp should do it, you just want to see if it moves a bit. - https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rc...99932343280569 or maybe even a laptop type - https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rc...99932343280569 should do it.

Ill have a look see if i can find a rover and givwe it a go, i need an excuse to get the part for my car this weekend!

taking a second look on the images, purple and blue are your best bet in driving the motor - thicker wires for power.

I did go to the scrap yard last weekend however there car stock didint really have many electric seats and the ones they did have were to difficult to get the seat off within the time frame i had, how did your testing go?

Register To Comment