Register To Comment

Thread: Removing Super Stuck Wheels From Drill Motors

Hi Guys,

So yeah, I'm trying to get the wheels off the old robot in order to gauge the real-world ground clearance on Venator V2. Has anyone got any tips for removing really tight wheels from drill motor shafts? If I try to unscrew the wheel the whole shaft turns, and even when I clamp the axle, with the clamp handles gripped in a vice, the wheel still won't turn off with just my hands. I've now tried gripping the wheel as well and trying to jolt it loose with a hammer, but still nothing.

I've also tried running the motors in reverse and then suddenly stopping the axles. However, as it's such a small space I'm having a hard time making any good purchase and applying any significant or sudden stopping force. Here are some pics showing how small the space is between the bulkhead, wheel and motor mount. They are attached to the axle by one of those threaded brass fixings which has been melted into the wheel bore.

IMG_0748[1].jpg IMG_0720.jpg

I imagine this is a fairly common issue - Does anyone have any tips for removing super tight wheels?
    Last edited by dotDominic; 5th July 2017 at 15:51.

How I've done it is to remove the panel with the motors in, remove the back part of the gearbox and slide out the gears. This should expose the carrier pins on the motor shaft, Clamps the wheel in a vice and find something (a strip of metal, suitable spanner whatever) to sit between the carrier pins and then just brute force turn it.

Perfect - it worked! Thank you!

Register To Comment