Register To Comment
Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Kaizen - The Honey Badger

TBH i think you should work on developing the first design as you could be able to design it to have a full 180 degree arc and possibly compress it.

Team Kaizen

I am not planning on building this until after Maidstone (I know I said I might do in a previous post but I've since decided to spin the research I've done for that off into something else) so plenty of time to work this one out in prototypes and so on.

I don't think the weaponry really needs to go the full 180 though, 120 degrees is more likely given the wedge shape of the robot. The quick return mechanism, I think, can offer that with a suitably big enough drivewheel. Wherever it can transmit enough torque to be effective is another matter though I accept that there will be some losses in the mechanism. I guess using the same motor as the drive motor (which is 13.7:1, ~1500rpm @ 18v) would be quick and have enough torque.

A variation on a fauchard would suit quite well instead of an axe.
    Hmm... perhaps. If it was mounted as in the video you linked, I guess it would be more effective with the rest position in the wedge lifting up with the rounded part of the blade lifting up to cut and hook underneath rather than striking down.

The glaive does look neat though... reminds me of Ronin from the classic Battlebots Long Beach/Las Vagas events.
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 2nd November 2017 at 01:40.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Team Kaizen

So I've added on some bars of metal by the wheels to try and keep the robot upright. I am a little unsure about the look of them now they are on there but they serve a purpose or two. They will need painting obviously.

DSCF5875.JPG

The hotel is now booked for Maidstone and The Honey Badger is practically ready to rumble. Will also be bringing a fairly lardy antweight in the form of Osu made largely as a challenge to see if I could use the recycled bits from Shu! and bits from around the house.

DSCF5870.JPGDSCF5871.JPG,

Team Kaizen

Been working on the front wedge the last few days to try and make it more effective. Re-watching the fights that The Honey Badger 2.x has been in, I note that when the robot comes up against a competitor, it more often than not smacks the bottom lip of the wedge ride than ride up the wedge. So the wedge plate has come off and with a couple of slightly misaligned hinges, it now should be flush to the floor (or it will be when I've metalworked the plate some more).

The other thing I noticed was that the chisels seemed to be ineffective so I took a proper look at the chisels when mounted and guess what? They are too short. Now with the wedge plate now more effective (in theory), this should not matter as when the competitor rides up, the chisels should reach now.

This is really just adaptation on the fly, the 2.2 revisions will include a remade wedge plate, a bit more armour and that luxury, an active weapon(!). If I have any money left from building Kaizen, I may up the voltage of the motors to 16.5 (5s LiFe) or 19.8 (6s LiFe).

Just needs re-painting before Maidstone now.

DSCF5876.JPG

Team Kaizen

So Maidstone was a bruising encounter having definitely gotten Shreked a few times! :P Could be worse, least The Honey Badger is still moving after 7 melee matches, though definitely battle scarred.

Videos!

Melee I

Melee II

Melee III

Melee IV

Melee V

Team Kaizen

continued

Melee VI

Melee VII

So following that, the next thing to do with The Honey Badger is to decide on wherever I rebuild it pretty much "as is" to 2.2 or venture into something different. I picked up a spare FW chassis from plod and I'll see if anyone in the family wants to build a FW for Manchester with it but I've not quite decided on where to go with the Badger in the meantime... hmm.
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 14th November 2017 at 01:52.

Team Kaizen

So as evidenced, The Honey Badger is looking a bit battleworn. I've been giving this some thought as what to do and I've decided that I am going to start building version 3 and eventually decommission version 2.1.1 since it seems to have a very unhealthy habit of capsizing in the arena when running at full pelt.

Version 2.1.1 will probably be at Extreme Robots in Manchester ( which I think is in April of 2018 ) and I'll probably début version 3.0 at Robots Live! in Grantham (or at the FW championships, whichever comes first) unless I can get the idea I have for it built in time. There isn't going to be any significant upgrades to the electronics though, I am relatively happy with the setup I have at present.
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 15th November 2017 at 11:04.

Team Kaizen

I think it is the 21st and 22nd of April - http://www.extremerobots.co.uk/live

Register To Comment