Register To Comment
Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Kaizen - The Honey Badger

Team Kaizen

I am quite happy to come up to Manchester in the weekend if that makes it easier for you, I can drive.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Yeah that's cool, I'm free today and Monday, but working tomorrow, I'll pm my number and we can sort out a when and where

Team Kaizen

I've reorganised the internals and whilst I may need a new battery case to fit the 4x batteries in the one case, I've finally got the internals organised in such a way that the lid finally shuts. My new OrangeRX Tx6i transmitter arrived today as well but I've yet to wire it in, I want to spend a bit of time learning about it first before converting The Honey Badger over to it. I very much approve of the semi-transparent orange.

DSCF6234.JPG

The new JR extender wires also arrived so one was plucked out, the positive wire clipped and the FeatherTwo now works with the current setup, many thanks to Rory for the wiring tip. I don't know if it is standard behaviour because of the wiring calamity last week or so but the ESC makes a whining noise when on, doesn't seem to affect how it works so I'll take it. I know it still needs rewiring properly, it is on my list of things to do.

Anyway, here is a video of it terrorising the vacuum cleaner. :P

Team Kaizen

So with the robot now nearly refitted, I've been working on getting the OrangeTX system plumbed in and after a bit of failsafe craziness, it now runs on it along with one of my Antweights.

Today though one of the TZ85A needed reflashing again. Not entirely sure why, seemed to only be working at half power and developed a mind of its own when the transmitter was turned off. It is cured for now but something tells me it'll be back. I also tidied up my links and got the wiring ready to accept a fuse for the lifting arm or axe which I've put together, a sharp pointy steel thing on the end of a length of HDPE, I fear it may bend sidewards under use but there is still time to reinforce it.

Many thanks to Retroman for the 14mm thick piping, I don't think I'll have it installed by Manchester but Grantham... perhaps.

I do like Gimson's stuff but the hubs are a bit of a pain when either the grub screw bends or the hub itself deforms under load (they being Aluminium alloy, might go shopping for steel hubs next time there is any money to put into this - got Kaizen to work on after Manchester. Still, I put it down to extraordinary use on the arm, the hubs on the wheels are still good.

Team Kaizen

Important news - the new front lid now has googly eyes!

DSCF6243.JPG

I've since added a locking pin arrangement for the arm and reinforced the substructure holding the motor onto the lid so rather than using 2x M4 bolts, 3x M6 bolts + 1 M4 bolt hold it in place. I've also began work on the front Aluminium bash plate replacing the metal door finger plate from last year that was shredded at Maidstone 2017 (DoubleTrouble was kind enough to donate some 5 bar tread plate at Gloucester 2017). I've bent it into shape but still need to trim off the excess to make it flush with the bodywork, the excess may replace the sticky tape eye brows

Team Kaizen

Well, the 2.2 refit has been a while coming. It has been 116 days since the 12th of December 2017 when the refit technically started and there has been a few setbacks (largely of my own making) but finally, The Honey Badger 2.2 is completed!

DSCF6266.JPG

The lifting arm is now interchangeable with an axe attachment which although the motor is not ideal for such an application, works as well as I can expect and if I do end up doing a 2.3, that will be the main change. The white safety tether looks slack in the picture but it tenses up as it goes down and should do the job here.

You'll note the large slab of Aluminium for better impact protection this time around and the much thicker and larger side wings being made out of 4mm steel so hopefully being flipped up and over will be a thing of the past.

Internally, apart from the added weaponry wiring, not much has changed apart from the switch over to a OrangeRX system which I am readily getting used to but I do still need some more driving time with it. The armour is still 10mm HDPE with 3x 40mm Oak chassis crossmembers along with the 5 bar tread plate at the front and sides.

There are still tidying up jobs to do, notably the front plate bends over too far grounding out one side of the robot on the floor but that is a 10 minute job to cut off the excess and tidy up so not too concerned yet. I'll see if I can get some videos of it running around tomorrow.

Team Kaizen

And here is a video of the testing I did today with it. Perhaps the most important one here is get some threadlock on the nuts.

Otherwise still as uncontrollable as ever.

at Manchester we need to a axe off with Broadaxe =D, now of any other axe/hammer bots going ?

Team Kaizen

I am hoping Hatchet and Ratatoskr will be at Manchester, a 5 way axe off would be awesome

I love seeing just how much this bot has evolved over the months, and it just keeps getting more and more character. The checker plate aluminium in particular really pops!

Register To Comment