Team Kaizen

hahaha! If I wanted to make a flipper bot, aye
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    Well that's a name for a different featherweight if you plan on it. "The Angry Platypus."

Or how about " The Pissed Platypus"

Team Kaizen

I don't think I have ever seen a angry Platypus before... certainly would be unique whatever the name!

Team Kaizen

I've bit the bullet and ordered a Como motor (https://www.technobotsonline.com/919...otor-50-1.html) with a hub and I'll be fashioning a couple of linkages from the leftover HDPE from the side panels to make the spear with (with sharp metal attachments to it as well).

To accommodate other weaponry later on in life, I'll mount the motor to a strengthening brace which is attached to the the front wedge and the side panels so that if I wanted another weapon in place of the spear, all I'd need to do is switch out the front lid for the other front lid that has the other weapon attached to it.

Team Kaizen

I've not really had a chance to build the weapon owing to work commitments and building Shu! but I did find a bit of time to have a test match with The Honey Badger 2.0 vs The Honey Badger 1.0, taking place in a fenced off area at a community centre me and my brother go to.

The whole point of doing this was to see if there were any weak spots on the 2.0 iteration and it did just that. Driving it on the tarmac, the wires connecting to the motors kept on falling off (which was an issue on the 1.0 iteration and I am sure caused the carnage at Grantham) and it kept on grounding out, which I am putting down to the motor mounts mounting the motors (and thus the wheels) too high off of the ground.

We had three matches and The Honey Badger 2.0 lost twice and drew once, both times due to the thing grounding out. I know the arena is going to be much more flat than this but debris could spell disaster as it is. New mounts are a must and soldering of some XT60 connectors for the motors.

The video is of the third fight. I was in control of The Honey Badger 1.0 with my brother in control of The Honey Badger 2.0. The camber of the driveway meant there was a gutter thing along the edge that the 1.0 variant seemed to like getting stuck in.

Last edited by Ocracoke; 6th September 2017 at 23:13.

This may be a bit late seen as you've built it now but...... 'ave you got a srimech?

Team Kaizen

This may be a bit late seen as you've built it now but...... 'ave you got a srimech?
    Not at present, I wanted to get the basics out of the way first. However, my intention is to have several front panels where the weaponry will bolt onto where at least one will feature a srimech.

it's probably safe to assume that the arena will be far from as flat as a road, even more so after the heavies have had a go at it. Unless you're talking about Extreme Robots events in which you might struggle to traverse seems in the arena floor where panels meet.
    This was one of my gripes at Grantham. The floor was nice and relatively flat at the time but by the time the FW melees happened, it has been chewed up somewhat and with the robot having millimeteres (1 or 2 at the most) of ground clearance... well you can see where this was going.

With that said, it would have helped if the front castor ball had stayed in the hole. Dismantled the robot today to solder up the wiring to the motors and found the castor had come adrift so the front had dropped and thus, catches on the road. The test matches proved their worth then

Team Kaizen

With The Honey Badger in pieces, I've gone and ordered a couple of LiFe batteries (a pair of these: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-fl...epo4-pack.html) to wire in series to drive the motors, which was part of the original intention in this rebuild. Should be a big improvement over the 2x 1.2ah 12v SLA batteries.

DSCF5657.JPG

The new motor mounts have been ordered which should hopefully drop the motors onto the chassis board and thus, increase the amount of traction from the drive wheels as the current ones don't allow the wheels to fully grip onto the driving surface.

As for the weaponry, I am going to put the spear on hold as I can't allocate enough time between my various commitments to make it work as I would like it before Stevenage. I will install the side chisels when I put the robot back together but I do want to add something to the rear of the robot. I have an idea but I'll need to see if I have enough weight allowance and time to build it.
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 10th September 2017 at 22:08.

Team Kaizen

Well the mounts arrived but I realised the night before that they are not required. I could just elongate the original holes in the original mounts to cause it to drop down a few millimetres. So the new mounts will go towards another potential robot and the original mounts were reused.

I took the opportunity to rebuild the wiring loom of the Badger following the delivery of the LiFePO4 batteries. It is a bit messy in there after the rewire but what I'll do is house the majority of the loom and the batteries in a plastic box stuffed with foam. I've not had a chance to really test it moving around yet but it certainly seems to be happy with the batteries. Once they are charged properly, we'll see how zippy the robot is.

Next thing is to install the side chisels and then go through the rules to make sure The Honey Badger meets them, especially regarding the LiFePO4 batteries. Once done, it'll be ready for Robots Live! in Stevenage if there are any FW battles taking place (or indeed, anywhere at all).

Register To Comment