Register To Comment
Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Kaizen - The Honey Badger

Looking at 5he picture it seems you may have wired the controller the wrong way round. The black wire from battery goes to the white wire which then goes into the red wire of the controller.
    Looks like the colour change in the link connector has confused you thinking it was the black lead.

Yeah, that'll kill it pretty hard...

Team Kaizen

Shazbot is the best description I have for this. I thought at first that the picture, which was a recreation of the wiring loom after I disconnected the FeatherTwo and put in the Beetleweight ESC, was incorrect. However, I had recorded a video of this at the time when this took place and it confirms the polarity is wrong.

bad_wiring.png

Yeah, that'll kill it pretty hard...
    Indeed, time for a complete rewire then I think. The TZ85A controllers also appear dead at this moment time.
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 25th March 2018 at 00:34.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

In future it's best to wire in the fuse first, or use a very thin bit of wire as a link. As long as the fuse blows, a FeatherTwo can often cope with being plugged in backwards. However if there's no fuse it's gonna go bang. Also probably best sort out the colour coding of your wiring to make it easier to keep track of.

If you need a new drive controller, a dual channel feather two would work nicely
    Last edited by Rapidrory; 25th March 2018 at 00:50.

Team Kaizen

I agree, the wiring was done in a rush with what I had available (the white wiring was from The Honey Badger 1.0) and it has cost me here.

The slightly more annoying thing appears to be that none of the TZ85As appeared to have survived either. Robotic paperweight at the moment.

Maybe, sometimes you may be able to get the TZS back depending on what has blown in the controller, have brought back some ESC from the dead before from my multirotors. I'd be happy to take a look at the TZS, maybe Rory could take a look at the featherTwo to see if he can repair that?

If the BEC on the FeatherTwo was connected to the RX, it will have powered the RX backward and blown it. If the TZs were connected as well, it may have fed back down into them and made them unhappy too. But first try a new RX and check to see if they are actually dead.

You should always cut all but one BEC supply from the ESCs. They don't play well together even if they are all wired the right way round.

The feather two will be beyond economic repair if it's been plugged in backwards
    Last edited by Rapidrory; 25th March 2018 at 02:00.

Team Kaizen

So I plugged in the substitute RX receiver and one of the TZ85As is working properly. The other one is working but I think requires reflashing, which I can do tomorrow.

Amazingly, the original RX is still working.

UPDATE: So feeling a bit "double or quits" at the moment, I replaced one of the TZ85A speed controllers with the FeatherTwo controller, made sure all the polarities were set correctly and plugged it in. Amazingly, it works and failsafes OK. If I can resurrect the borked TZ85A, then we are back in business.
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 25th March 2018 at 03:37.

Excellent! Glad the FeatherTwo survived! 12v reversed must be a bit less instadeath than doing the same with 24v (you are by no means the first to plug one in backwards... )

Hooray, glad things are working out!

Register To Comment