Register To Comment
Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Kaizen - The Honey Badger

I’ve got to commend you for going back in with Shrekt again and again, tough little robot you’ve got there!

Get Shrekt didn’t come away unscathed either, definitely some things that need changing. I was super pleased with how it performed though, can’t wait to see what you come up with next.

Team Kaizen

I know you had the weapon motor bent, much else go wrong? Get Shrekt was deadly though, I had a chance to look over The Honey Badger properly tonight and you must have gotten really close to one of my drive wheels, there is a gouge right by one of them I hadn't noticed before.

Having checked the damage over, I think I've got scope to repair it. I need to save the money up for my heavyweight so I'll work on making good the panels of the 2.1.1 Badger first and then add in, le gasp, a active weapon! It may not be what I originally intended but hey, it'll be back.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Luckily it was just the weapon motor mount that bent, the motor itself is fine.The main issue is that the weapon shaft was spinning in the bulkheads and has worn out the bores, that would explain the loss of belt tension. A new set of bulkheads, new motor mount and a few little tweaks to help with the gyro and internal shock mounting and it’ll be good to go again.

Team Kaizen

Awesome, can't wait to see it again.

Team Kaizen

Been focusing on Shu! over the last couple of weeks but found a bit of time this morning with the Dremel to clean up the side panels, which now look vaguely respectful again. Shrekt managed to put a kink in one of the side panels so I ended up chopping the panel a little to make it line up with the angle of the front panel.

Will be ordering new front and rear HDPE panels next week along with the panels for Kaizen. The base panel, though a bit bent, is nothing that can't be corrected.

Team Kaizen

So after a whole load of thinking whilst building Shu!, I've decided on a electrically powered lifting arm for The Honey Badger, similar to that fitted to Shu!.

I have leftover HDPE from making the side panels that will form the basis of the arm and I'll mount the motor about 2/3s of the way up the wedge shape so the arm can, in theory, rotate past 180 degrees so can finally self right if it lands on its back panel or completely upside down. I tried adding side bars in Maidstone 2017 but they didn't last so I'll try again and actually bolt the things properly this time as well. :P

Dissasembled the wheel hubs this evening and both have a bolt bent in them so they won't come out... With a bent grub screw as well, I am going to get a new set and remind myself to use all 4 holes next time.

DSCF5951.JPG

Team Kaizen

So since the last post, I've found the time to work on the Badger since finishing the build of Shu! and after some serious thought, this is likely to be the last few times this version of The Honey Badger goes out into the arena. Ideally, I'd like it to make it to the FW championships this year but then retire it in favour of 3.0. I might keep it around as a loanerbot, if I can find space alongside The Honey Badger 1.0.

Anyway, maudlin moment over, the robot has a new chassis crossmember and much larger screws holding the thing together. The electrics are another thing. In melee V at Maidstone 2017, it suffered its first electrical failure where after being flipped on its back and without the link cover, the plug was damaged so when it landed back on its wheels, it died. The removable link has been remade and is now in but one of the electrical connectors to the speed controllers has jammed and the wire has fallen out. I am sure I have a replacement somewhere mind
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 2nd January 2018 at 23:21.

Team Kaizen

Managed to sort out the electrics a few nights ago and now it is running around as fast as ever. Trailed a new pistol grip controller and mixer as well... seems fine but the controller was very twitchy, managed to inadvertently drive the robot straight onto my big toe at full power. :/ I'll keep the controller and mixer for Kaizen...

With regards to the weapon, I keep on flipping between a lifting arm and a axe. In the end, I am going to take a leaf from Shu! and have a lifting arm mounted in the middle of the wedge, so that it can do a 180 arc to become either a rear hinged lifting arm or a front hinged flipping arm which I think will sort out the self righting woes anyway. The middle mounted position will also lend itself to a rotary weapon of some sort as well.

Maybe do a thing similar to Hammer & Tong, and make it an axe and a lifter at the same time. Or a hammer and lifter. Just a suggestion. :P

Team Kaizen

I did consider that and may add something like that in but the weapon on Hammer & Tong seems to fold over really easy in combat, which would rather reduce the effectiveness. If the motor I have ordered is fast enough, I may very well make a axe arm alongside the lifting arm and the rotary weapon, just need to see it in action.

Register To Comment