Register To Comment
Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Kaizen - The Honey Badger

Team Kaizen

So a new hub arrived and now it has a M4 hex bolt as a locking pin. Great, except the gearbox has jammed up yet again.

I know what the issue is - the gearbox is a 2 stage reduction gearbox and that just cannot handle the shock through the gears (and the bearing case by the looks of things). I can get 3 or 4 hits at the full distance the axe can reach of it before it packs up.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Quote Originally Posted by Ocracoke View Post
    I know what the issue is - the gearbox is a 2 stage reduction gearbox and that just cannot handle the shock through the gears (and the bearing case by the looks of things). I can get 3 or 4 hits at the full distance the axe can reach of it before it packs up.
    Got a video of it binding up ? and what releases it ?

Team Kaizen

Because of where it is in the robot, you can't see it binding up, definitely got a video of the gearbox after the case has been dissembled, I'll post it shortly. Repositioning the shaft and bearings brings it back to life but a quick and dirty hack is to undo the 3x M4 screws holding the motor to the plate which seems to help.

Team Kaizen

Here we go. A slight revision, it is a 3 stage gearbox, not a 2 stage. The key bit to watch is the gear on the topmost shaft, watch that wobble about.

Team Kaizen

Pretty much ready for Manchester now except for some LEDs that were supposed to have been delivered yesterday but haven't. I do have another LED which if put in series with the other LED, should allow me to use the 19.8v battery set without blowing the LED but it is soldering time I just do not have. I'll be at the pits early working on it.

For the sake of longevity, I am going to switch the drive and weapon batteries around so 6S on the drive, 4S on the weapon and just take it, I don't think the gearbox on the axe will hold up to the strain of 6S in the arena, 4S and it might.

If you have a single LED, put in a resistor. Use a 1k resistor or value around that (900 ohm to 1.2k will be fine)

Team Kaizen

I don't have any resistors at the moment and can't leave the house to go get some. Putting the second LED in series, I thought, would half the voltage over the two lights.

I'll have a box of resistors at Manchester if you need any. What voltage LEDs do you have?

Team Kaizen

I have a pair of 14v LEDs (they already have a resistor in them).

Just tried putting the batterties on charge, a 3S LiFe battery is reading < 5 volts! The other 3S set is not far behind but the charger has managed to get started with that one. Yikes.

More than likely be fine in series then, but bear in mind that if one fails short, it will probably take the other one with it.

Register To Comment